Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on high idleing

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on high idleing

Yesterday and today, I installed the FAST manifold and a Nick Williams 90 throttle body. Everything went pretty smooth. Cut the **** out of my arms though. What was GM thinking when they put those clips in the cowl? Anyway, started the car and the idle just went from 2000 to 3000. Drove the car to the gas station to get gas and it's idleing still at 3000 to 3500. Come to a stop and it stays there. So I come home and adjust the idle screw all the way out, no change. I pull the throttle wire off and the throttle closes another, oh, 1/4". So I start adjusting the bracket holding the throttle cable. I finally get it to where if your going down the road and push in on the clutch, it idles at 2000, come to a dead stop and it drops to 1000 to 1100. So,I got to thinking if it could be a vacum leak and the only place where I can think a vacum leak could be would be on the map sensor in the back of the manifold. Everything else is on there the way it's supposed to be. The reason I say the map sensor is it just sticks in a hole back there kinda flopping around in the hole. Is this supposed to be this way? That's the way it was on the old manifold also. Could this be the problem or is there something else I need to be looking at?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

A quick way to check is to spray some carb/choke cleaner around any possible place for a vacuum leak,when the idle increases there is your leak.Good luck.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that map sensor supposed to just stick in the hole and not have something to securly hold it in?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh and I forgot to add, I pulled all of the air crap off also. I do have the SES light on right now, I just haven't had time to look at the codes, but I assume that is due to the air not being attached. I'm going to have the car tuned, hopefully this week or next week so if it is the air codes, they can do away with those codes, right? But this wouldn't have anything to do with this high idle issue would it?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Moderators, I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry.