Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will block distort if head studs are added after machine work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Will block distort if head studs are added after machine work?

I am having a very reputable person take care of the machine work and assembly for me. Everything is great except for one thing. A few people have told me I need to give the machine shop my main AND head studs so they can put them in the block and line hone it or whatever they do to get it straight. My assembly guy said all he needs is the main studs so they can bolt the torque plate in place.
Does the machine shop not do the same for the heads torque plate? I was told the block will distort after the head bolts they use to bolt the heads torque plate down are removed. Is it something that is not required but recommended? I trust this person very much, just wondering.

BTW, this block is a 5.3L that will be bored out to 5.7L for a total of 120 thousandths. If that makes a difference.

Last edited by SStolen; 07-10-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No for head studs and possibly for main studs

Keith
Old 07-11-2005, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would give them both the main and head studs. I think it's true that it could distort a little bit, this is also what I was told by some reputable people. You will even notice some sponcers that build engines like LME actually states that they do the honing with studs in place with the tq plates. It may not be that big of an issue since tons of people do this on stock blocks, but might as well have them do it right no matter how minor it is...

Dan