Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i use Crane Dual valvespring with stock retainers ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i use Crane Dual valvespring with stock retainers ?

Can i use Crane Dual valvespring with stock retainers ?
Old 07-11-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. Stock is beehive shaped and smaller O.D. at the top than the Cranes.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the crane compliment Ti retainer
Old 07-12-2005, 02:59 AM
TECH Addict

The steel Crane retainer is a fine choice, Ti retainers compromise affordability and some amount of strength. For the extra 300 or so RPM peak, is it worth it??

I went with their steel retainer, and spent some of the leftover $$ on upgraded Manley locks. Still had enough $$ left in the diff between steel and titanium retainers to fill the tank a time or two...
Old 07-12-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crainholio
The steel Crane retainer is a fine choice, Ti retainers compromise affordability and some amount of strength. For the extra 300 or so RPM peak, is it worth it??

I went with their steel retainer, and spent some of the leftover $$ on upgraded Manley locks. Still had enough $$ left in the diff between steel and titanium retainers to fill the tank a time or two...
ya but why you you replace the locks? is there a known problem with stock ones.......no there isnt. and titanium is not weaker the steel. i might not know the exact strength qualites of both but ti has been used for a long time with high revs and high spring pressures. its worth the money
Old 07-12-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fast98
ya but why you you replace the locks? is there a known problem with stock ones.......no there isnt.
We're not talking about locks.

If you're trying to connect a <$15 cost diff (GM locks versus aftermarket) to a $125 cost diff (Ti versus steel retainers) in some effort to argue with me, you're reaching just a bit there sparky.

and titanium is not weaker the steel. i might not know the exact strength qualites of both but ti has been used for a long time with high revs and high spring pressures.
That's a very broad statement and impossible to support...it depends on the alloy's properties, its quality, and the manufacturing process quality. All of which are constrained by the economics of the target price point.

Unless you know exactly which alloy is being used in both the Ti and steel pieces, or you're willing to fund some failure mode testing, it's impossible to support what you've stated.

its worth the money
In your opinion. Crane Ti retainers cost $179, steel are $53, you get an extra ~200-300rpm for your $126 with, at best, no additional strength compared to the steel retainers.

How exactly is that a good investment?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

or you're willing to fund some failure mode testing, it's impossible to support what you've stated.
Your "cost argument" is a valid one. If you don't have the money to pay the extra cost of titanium retainers or you just don't want to, then you use the steel ones instead. Your statement that titanium retainers compromise some degree of strength is no more supported than the argument that they don't. That said, the fact is there's no need for fast98 or anyone else to conduct any "failure mode testing" on them as titanium retainers have been thoroughly tested and proven for the years they've now been in use.

For someone like myself, who has experienced valve float issues in the past, the titanium retainers were worth every penny of their cost. Even if you don't have a problem with valve float, lightening your valvetrain components is never a bad thing.

Last edited by XTrooper; 07-12-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XTrooper
Your statement that titanium retainers compromise some degree of strength is no more supported than the argument that they don't. That said, the fact is there's no need for fast98 or anyone else to conduct any "failure mode testing" on them as titanium retainers have been thoroughly tested and proven for the years they've now been in use.

For someone like myself, who has experienced valve float issues in the past, the titanium retainers were worth every penny of their cost. Even if you don't have a problem with valve float, lightening your valvetrain components is never a bad thing.
You're right, the only data I have to support my assertion that consumer-grade Ti retainers aren't as durable as steel ones is two anecdotal failure incidents.

These were in road course conditions, 20+mins of continuous WOT/lift/WOT engine service. Maybe a tad more demanding than 12sec of drag racing.

I understand that two cases doesn't support a statistically-valid conclusion. However with both involving Ti retainers failing, and zero cases of steel ones doing it, this makes me uncomfortable with their durability.

So it's another case of picking the right part for the right application and the right wallet size.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:59 AM
11 Second Club

So it's another case of picking the right part for the right application and the right wallet size.
I'll go along with this every time!
Old 07-13-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated Racing
Consumer grade? Wether it's Dale jr. or Warren johnson..they get the same Ti material you would.
You have metallurgical proof to back that up, or is that an opinion disguised as fact?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

Well I think since I work for Comp Cams, it would be considered fact.
You mean you don't pick out the "select" retainers like Alexahente picks out the choicest coffee beans?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Well I think since I work for Comp Cams, it would be considered fact.
Really? You're selling the notion that DEI buys their valvetrain components out of the Comp Cams catalog, off the shelf pieces just like normal hobbyists?