Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine pull: From Top or Bottom?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine pull: From Top or Bottom?

Ok, time has come to get ready to pull the LT1 out of the car for some stroker madness. I read that the car was assembled by putting engine in from the bottom. Im used to pulling the motor from the top on older cars. The 4th Gens looks harder than most cars becuase of how far back the motor is in the bay. On the net, There is a thing called "The happy hooker" that TPIS sells that is supposed to make taking the engine from the top easier. How have you guys pulled your motor and what are the benefits/problems with each way. I've heard you need to get an alignmnet if you pull from the bottom.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont know about the lt1 but the ls1 is a breese doing it throught the bottom.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lt1 is pullable from the top, but I have never asked how har it is to do, or done it myself
Old 07-13-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pulled my LS1 from the top, so you can def pull your LT1 from the top. The LS1's are easier to drop from the bottom by unbolting the kmember/suspension from the body and just lowering it all down, but you have to have a lift or a jack to get the front end of your car ridiculously high. I'd say pull from the bottom, the alignment cost is well worth the time/agony saved. I only pulled mine from the top cuz I had everything already off the engine and down to the shortblock which made it easier for me.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the bottom in my neck of the woods.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I pulled mine from the bottom as well easiest motor swap I have ever done. On the ls1 you can brake the ball joints from the lower A arms and un bolt the strut from A arm, and leave the lower A arm on the K member And avoid a big allignment problem. I did mine on a lift and it was cake trans comes with the moter and you can bolt the trans back to the moter before reinstall. heres some pic's.good luck.
http://www.organ1zedcha0s.com/phpBB2....php?pic_id=64
http://www.organ1zedcha0s.com/phpBB2....php?pic_id=70
http://www.organ1zedcha0s.com/phpBB2....php?pic_id=63
http://www.organ1zedcha0s.com/phpBB2....php?pic_id=61
http://www.organ1zedcha0s.com/phpBB2....php?pic_id=50
Old 07-13-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i ever need to mine is coming out the bottom
Old 07-14-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

ive done it from the top...not hard at all....take off hood. disconnect all the grounds off the heads and block. unbolt and remove headers, take off intake and oil press. sending unit. get a chain and bolt it to the back of the driver head across to the front passanger and then to the front of the driver head. unbolt motor mounts and lift away...oh yeah, the tranny was off and it was an auto. i may have missed a few steps, but pm me if you have any questions.
Nino
Old 07-14-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
ive done it from the top...not hard at all....take off hood. disconnect all the grounds off the heads and block. unbolt and remove headers, take off intake and oil press. sending unit. get a chain and bolt it to the back of the driver head across to the front passanger and then to the front of the driver head. unbolt motor mounts and lift away...oh yeah, the tranny was off and it was an auto. i may have missed a few steps, but pm me if you have any questions.
Nino
I didn't even take off the hood, it's that easy with a shortblock assembly.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:29 AM
Teching In

There was a great picture posted the other day showing the engine and front suspension dropped. I think he said he disconnected the K member? They had a lift so it looked as if the unbolted the suspension and tranny and then rasied the car on the lift leaving the engine on the floor.

ArcticZ28 - I dig your avitar.

"I've got the feva, and the only cure is more cow bell"
Christopher Walken / SNL
Old 07-14-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to do a 3.4 in a '95 camaro and took it out the bottom. I think I unbolted the struts and left them on th k member. Its been a while though. It was easy as hell out the bottom.