Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More questions about valvespring swap..

Old 07-15-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More questions about valvespring swap..

ok i got the #1 and #6 cylinders done on my valvespring swap...i havent tried the #7 and #8 cylinders yet.i know i can get the stock springs off of the cylinders but is there a trick to get the locks back in on these particular cylinders? it looks impossible..BTW im using the more performance tool...its pretty good but its hard to fit a rachet in the holes on the side..i had to file them to get the damn rachet to fit in..and not that it matters but im using the top dead center method..so whats the trick? thanks!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Which vehicle r u working on??
Old 07-15-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

trans am..sorry
Old 07-15-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What goes up must come down and what comes out must go back in again. What makes you think if you were able to remove the locks there won't be room for them to go back in? Just reverse your steps and put some shop rags around the heads in case you accidentally drop one of the locks while putting them back in.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Launching!

Patience is the key. Don't try to rush anything! Oh and the rag idea sounds like a real good idea.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:35 AM
TECH Addict

The trick I discovered was removing both springs first on those back cylinders to give yourself more room to work. The other cylinders I just removed one spring, installed the new one, removed the next one, installed the new one, etc.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
What goes up must come down and what comes out must go back in again. What makes you think if you were able to remove the locks there won't be room for them to go back in? Just reverse your steps and put some shop rags around the heads in case you accidentally drop one of the locks while putting them back in.
i HIGHLY suggest doing putting rags around the head, cuz i dropped a lock in the head and never found it, till one year later on my oil drain plug
Old 07-16-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also i keep dropping locks...i can always get one in but the other lock seems impossible to get in..i tried the grease trick to and that didnt work..i had another idea though. tell me if you guys think this would work..i thought about glueing the locks together and then compressing the spring and then just slid the locks over the valve..would this work or not? thanks!
Old 07-16-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure about gluing the locks together, that's not necessary. It's not impossible, just take your time. It make take several tries but it's doable. Have you removed the plastic cowling under the wiper area? Do it because it gives you more room to work and removes those little bastard spikes out of the way.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Not sure about gluing the locks together, that's not necessary. It's not impossible, just take your time. It make take several tries but it's doable. Have you removed the plastic cowling under the wiper area? Do it because it gives you more room to work and removes those little bastard spikes out of the way.
yea you otta see my arms..they are so scratched up from the damn spikes..i didnt even think to remove them, glad you mentioned it..i think i am gonna try gluing the locks together b/c im tired of ****** losing them!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Don't just remove the weather strip, but I'm talking unbolting the wiper arms and removing them and removing the push pins and the moving the 2 cowl pieces out of the way. You don't have to remove it from the car completely but you can get it to lay on top of the windshield. You can leave the 2 wiper washer hoses connected too. Makes a big difference once it's out of the way.

Search this Thread