Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you spin a bearing, New or rebuild the old motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If you spin a bearing, New or rebuild the old motor?

Every post I've seen here suggest that if you spin a bearing you'll need to get a new motor of short block, can the old block and interals be reused after some machine work or is the old block just shot?
Old 07-17-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

in nearly every case, the block is reusable. often its just faster, easier or cheaper for folks to buy a running shortblock and drop it in the car.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

usually you just need to turn or polish the crank. If you have to cut the crank you need oversized bearings. no biggie, its done all the time. if time is the issue, a shortblock is quicker as stated. Machine shops are slow as molasses on a cold winter day.

Dave
Old 07-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd
Every post I've seen here suggest that if you spin a bearing you'll need to get a new motor of short block, can the old block and interals be reused after some machine work or is the old block just shot?
I just rebuilt my short block after smoking a bearing, actually it was not that hard, I spent $60 on machining the rod and main journals on my crank, spent another $90 on some clevite oversize rod and main bearings. You can find new cranks for under a $100 if you look hard enough.Had the local machine shop do the machine work.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:15 PM

LS2 / 402
Old 07-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by guinness2
I just rebuilt my short block after smoking a bearing, actually it was not that hard, I spent $60 on machining the rod and main journals on my crank, spent another $90 on some clevite oversize rod and main bearings. You can find new cranks for under a $100 if you look hard enough.Had the local machine shop do the machine work.
So if you have or want to spend the time to rebuild, it should cost a few hundred dollars and some time, what else is needed to put the engine back together? Do you have to have do any special measuring after getting the block and crank work done?

I see this as a big saving if you're willing to do the work yourself and be patient.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

autozone carries clevite bearings in std and .002 oversized.

dave
Old 07-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Launching!

I just bought a new house so I had no money left for this, but I had the time.I am not an expert by any means,and I am sure there is alot of other people on here that have done this and maybe they will chime in.You can have the block checked out by your machine shop for good measure but it is probably not necessary,I would have them hone the cylinders,it only cost me $48 for that. I got a set of cheap rings that were like $25 a set just for good measure.You will probably need to replace the rod that was hammering the head, I bought a set of used rods and pistons for $60 off Ebay, I ended up replacing the two that were on the same journal. I would replace the rod bolts with ARP's or Katechs,replace the oil pump,front and rear seals,water pump gaskets ,front cover seal,o-rings and timing chain,head bolts and gaskets. I found almost every piece of information I needed to rebuild the motor on this website ,put it all together and put it in my car and had it running in a 3-day weekend 4th of July. Take your time and do your research and you should be good