Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knocking/ticking sound after warm up around 3Krpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default knocking/ticking sound after warm up around 3Krpm

I've noticed lately that after my car is warmend up it starts making a ticking/knocking sound around the 3000rpm and higher area. I first thought rod knock, but that would be all the time not just when warm and through the entire rpm range, it should also do it on deceleration this only does it while reving. I then though exhaust leak, but I'm pretty sure it's not that it's a little more "metal" and louder than an exhuast leak. I'm now thinking maybe a lifter, but have been told that lifter failure on LS1's is almost non-existant.. any ideas?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain. Im having the exact same problem. Mine ticks/taps once its warmed up. At idle its not there. Once you start giving it gas it starts ticking louder & louder. The more gas you give it the louder it gets. Ive tried everything, replaced the o-ring in the oil pump twice, reinstalled the cam twice, re-torqued all the rocker arm bolts, checked all the pushrods, & still cant pin point where its coming from. So good luck with your search.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an idea. Mine did a similar thing 'till I changed motor oil brands. *piston slap* Mine would be quiet at cold start for about 40 seconds then have a marble(s) in a can sound until I put some heat into the piston. Even if the temp was up it needed 30seconds of driving and it would go away. The same thing would happen on a warm restart. It's from the barrel shape the piston is cast in rocking in the cylinder bore. I went from Mobil 1 to Royal Purple oil and the "slap" is barely noticable now. Try changing the brand of oil. Hope this sheds a bit of light.

Quick Reply: knocking/ticking sound after warm up around 3Krpm