Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyno results with crane gold rockers, dual springs and Ti retainers

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno results with crane gold rockers, dual springs and Ti retainers

Best of 3 runs showed a gain of 4rwhp and a loss of 8rwtq accross the board from my last results in my sig.

Same dyno (dynolab) both corrected. Last dyno was in Nov and this one was last thursday.

EDIT

Here is the weather history in Nov 2004 when I had the first dyno. 58.7 °F and 83% humidity at 12 noon.

Here is the weather history for July, 2005 76.5 °F and 80% humidity at 2100hrs

Pretty damm disappointed with the results. Its nice to have strong parts in there but for $1000 a gain would of been nice.

Will try and post the graph later tonight.

So am I going to have to drive to LA so that Alan Futral can get my torque back with a tune?

Last edited by gmblack3; 08-19-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude - you expected some serious gains from just rockers ? (springs are hardly a power mod anyways)
And now you're gonna pay $300+ for tune to get the lousy 8 rwtq back ???

You're silly ! :-)
Old 07-19-2005, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

I hear you on the tune. Not going to do it, unless Alan comes to the atl again.

Not serious gains but I would of been happy with a TQ gain and a few HP loss.

I know no gains from the springs and retainers, just wanted to list the mods done.

these where the 1.8s
Old 07-19-2005, 08:47 AM
9 Second Club

Are these the quick lift rockers?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I will be in Atlanta all next week on business. I have HPTuner for 2001 Vettes. If you would like me to scan a couple of WOT runs and maybe adjust your WOT (PE) AFRs I would be more than happy to help.

We (a couple of PSP guys) are installing an adjustable timing set on my C5 also...

Just let me know... it is quick, easy and most importantly FREE.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ONEBADWS6
Are these the quick lift rockers?
Yes.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SideStep
Hey I will be in Atlanta all next week on business. I have HPTuner for 2001 Vettes. If you would like me to scan a couple of WOT runs and maybe adjust your WOT (PE) AFRs I would be more than happy to help.

We (a couple of PSP guys) are installing an adjustable timing set on my C5 also...

Just let me know... it is quick, easy and most importantly FREE.

Thanks!!! Interested will send a PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I too am disappointed as this is not what I was expecting based on all my reading on the Cranes to date. Any differences in conditions between your last dyno run and this one (tires, etc.)? Have you spoke to Vinci at all on this?

Last edited by vettenuts; 07-19-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I too am disappointed as this is not what I was expecting based on all my reading on the Cranes to date. Any differences in conditions between your last dyno run and this one (tires, etc.)? Have you spoke to Vinci at all on this?
Same dyno (dynolab in Atlanta) last time was in Nov as per my sig. So hotter and more humid now, but if its corrected that should not make a difference, right? Car has new plugs TR55 coppers, same plug just new. Same intake.

Had the car out this past w/e for some "hard driving" and all was well.

Putting graph in orig post.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

DUDE!!!! You have lost power everywhere except 6000rpms. We will get some goods logs recorded and see if anything sticks outs (KR, too rich, etc). My gut feeling is that Tony is right... I have read about it too many times on this forum...

I am staying at Mike F. house so we can hook-up Wednesday right after work...

Old 07-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SideStep

DUDE!!!! You have lost power everywhere except 6000rpms. We will get some goods logs recorded and see if anything sticks outs (KR, too rich, etc). My gut feeling is that Tony is right... I have read about it too many times on this forum...

I am staying at Mike F. house so we can hook-up Wednesday right after work...

I know Tony is the man, but if I got me some valve float with ti retainers I ain't gonna be happy.

Looking fwd to getting a look at WTF is going on next week.

Thanks again!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

As Tony stated, you sometimes have to do some experimentation when using roller rockers before you hit the right combination.

I lost a little peak power and had a wicked power dip in my dyno graph at ~5900 rpm when I first installed my Crane 1.80 Quick-Lift roller rockers. A change of valve springs (to the Crane duals) and slightly shorter pushrods eliminated the harmonics causing the valve float, made the power dip disappear, and my loss became a gain of 10 rwhp and 8 rwtq over the SLP 1.85 rockers I replaced.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

P.S.- I was using titanium retainers during and after the loss. The harmonics kicked my power's *** at 5900 rpm anyway until I swapped valve springs.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car felt a bit slower on the top end since instaling Yella Tera rocker arms, so I just took them off. Didn't feel like spending more time/money swapping out springs just to get the rocker arms right, and didn't want to mess with getting custom lengh pusshrods. Since yours cost you twice as much as what the Yella Teras cost me, you might as well try what Xtrooper and the others told you. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Its funny how some people report gains with these rockers and then when someone has problems with them, you find out that some had to change parts to make them work right.

It would of been nice to know this stuff before hand.

Oh freakin well.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gmblack3
Its funny how some people report gains with these rockers and then when someone has problems with them, you find out that some had to change parts to make them work right.

It would of been nice to know this stuff before hand.

Oh freakin well.
Do a search of my name. I gave the full story of my experience from the get-go.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Teching In

My I step in here? Let's take one thing at a time. Your baseline dyno runs were in November right? A lot can happen in 8 months, especially to a performance engine. If I remember correctly, you broke a spring on your car. At this point, the integrity of the engine is suspect i.e. compression, internal damage,etc. The vehicle should have been dyno tested right before the rocker install to be at all credible. That being said, Georgia is hot and wet in the July and dry and cold in November. Your graph does not show any weather information. I can tell you, having run a Dynojet for ten years in Florida weather, one can never expect to regain the losses produced by bad weather conditions from the SAE correction factor provided by the Dynojet software. It stinks but it's a fact and we have to deal with it everyday. We always re-baseline a vehicle before a major modification and re-test in the same atmosphere after the install for accuracy and validity. Serious testing requires some control over the variables. We have installed hundereds of sets of these rockers with pretty much the same gains for over six years. We rarely hear anything negative from folks who are using them if the rockers were properly installed. We have had to re-adjust some rockers, in accordance with our strict instructions when performance issues have risen. Some installers take the install process lightly and the adjustment depth of the lifter plunger is compromised. Tony Mamo just said he uses the Crane rocker kit on his own C5. I value his experience and his opinion. I take exception, however, to his comment that Crane rockers may be too heavy and therefore induce valve float. The Crane rocker weighs 142 grams. The stock rocker weighs 137 grams. That is only 5 grams difference. Not much of an issue with a rocker arm, could be an issue if you deal in illegal substances lol. The increased weight is located primarily over the rocker stud. Furthermore, the moment of inertia is less with the Crane rocker. Another benefit is the extra leverage provided by the increased rocker ratio allows the use of lower seat pressures to control the lifter as it returns to the base circle and to control hydraulic pump-up of the lifter's inner plunger. The advantages are significant and evident and we have continually observed this during the vast amount of dyno testing we have done. Perhaps Tony was refering to the "other" aftermarket rockers. Regards, Roger Vinci. P.S. PM Joe Vinci so he can try to help you get the car back on track
Old 07-19-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you suggesting that there might be too much preload on the lifters?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by XTrooper
Do a search of my name. I gave the full story of my experience from the get-go.
When I asked if someone had installed them you replied:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=crane+rockers

That 2001 LS6 cam with its .525/.525 lift with 1.7 rockers was made for 1.80 rockers!

A set of Crane Gold 1.80 Quick-Lift rockers (actually 1.82) would increase your lift to .562/.562. That added lift will definitely earn you some nice gains.
I think you'll be happy with the results of your Crane 1.80 rocker arms. I just finished reading an article in this month's (August 2005) issue of Chevy High Performance magazine where they installed a set of Crane 1.80 rockers in a Chevy Silverado pickup's 5.3L engine. They used them with a set of the new Crane dual valve springs (yellow and blue striped). This is the same setup I have in my motor.

The baseline dyno results for the LM7 motor were 236.7 hp @ 5300 rpm and 289.2 lb-ft tq @ 4000 rpm. Results after the rocker arms were installed were 256.1 hp and 298.8 lb-ft tq. That's an increase of 19 rwhp and 10 rwtq from just a rocker arm swap!
Also in this post you talk about your install of the crane rockers:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=crane+rocker

As some of you know, I swapped out my SLP 1.85 rocker arms for a set of Crane "Quick-Lift" 1.80 roller rockers. When we then dynoed my car, we discovered that my motor experienced a power dip at around 5900 rpm. Even with the dip and even though I lost around 10/1000ths in peak valve lift going from a ratio of 1.85 to 1.80, the dyno results were that my engine output with the Cranes nearly equaled that with the SLPs, 389 rwhp vs 392 rwhp.

Crane attributed the power dip to valvetrain harmonics caused by valve spring incompatibility and they suggested I use their dual valve springs with the Quick-Lift rockers.

Well, after this long, hard winter, Mike/Rapid Motorsports installed the Crane dual valve springs today and redynoed. The first thing we immediately noticed was that the new springs completely eliminated the dip in the graph. Second, my peak horsepower jumped from 389 rwhp to 402 rwhp and my peak torque went from 367 to 375!

I'm thoroughly impressed and pleased with the results.
No where did I see you talk about having to replace the pushrods with shorter ones till this thread.

You talked about using cranes dual springs which I have done from the start.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Roger Vinci
My I step in here? Let's take one thing at a time. Your baseline dyno runs were in November right? A lot can happen in 8 months, especially to a performance engine. If I remember correctly, you broke a spring on your car. At this point, the integrity of the engine is suspect i.e. compression, internal damage,etc. The vehicle should have been dyno tested right before the rocker install to be at all credible. That being said, Georgia is hot and wet in the July and dry and cold in November. Your graph does not show any weather information. I can tell you, having run a Dynojet for ten years in Florida weather, one can never expect to regain the losses produced by bad weather conditions from the SAE correction factor provided by the Dynojet software. It stinks but it's a fact and we have to deal with it everyday. We always re-baseline a vehicle before a major modification and re-test in the same atmosphere after the install for accuracy and validity. Serious testing requires some control over the variables. We have installed hundereds of sets of these rockers with pretty much the same gains for over six years. We rarely hear anything negative from folks who are using them if the rockers were properly installed. We have had to re-adjust some rockers, in accordance with our strict instructions when performance issues have risen. Some installers take the install process lightly and the adjustment depth of the lifter plunger is compromised. Tony Mamo just said he uses the Crane rocker kit on his own C5. I value his experience and his opinion. I take exception, however, to his comment that Crane rockers may be too heavy and therefore induce valve float. The Crane rocker weighs 142 grams. The stock rocker weighs 137 grams. That is only 5 grams difference. Not much of an issue with a rocker arm, could be an issue if you deal in illegal substances lol. The increased weight is located primarily over the rocker stud. Furthermore, the moment of inertia is less with the Crane rocker. Another benefit is the extra leverage provided by the increased rocker ratio allows the use of lower seat pressures to control the lifter as it returns to the base circle and to control hydraulic pump-up of the lifter's inner plunger. The advantages are significant and evident and we have continually observed this during the vast amount of dyno testing we have done. Perhaps Tony was refering to the "other" aftermarket rockers. Regards, Roger Vinci. P.S. PM Joe Vinci so he can try to help you get the car back on track
Damm thats a long paragraph sir.

I can understand that a "correction factor" can't make up for a dyno friendly day in Nov vs a hot day in July. I'm guessing the only way we are going to know for sure on that is to wait 5 months.

With the dual springs we waited 8-10 mins between each 1/4 turn adjustment.

Also I replaced the broken spring with these, I was not going to install a set of stock springs, redyno then install your product then redyno again. I don't have the time and money for that.....