Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please! Oil pressure drops only when spraying from a dig.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please! Oil pressure drops only when spraying from a dig.

I'm at a loss to explain this. I'd appriciate anyone's opinion that may know what's going on with my car.

My car loses oil pressure when going WOT in first, but only when spraying. I can run N/A from a stop and no problems, also, I can spray it from a 40-50 roll and the oil pressure will stay normal (40ish range).

---------------------------------------------

Here's a couple vids I took to help explain:

N/A from 1st

Looks semi- normal right?

Here's what happens when I spray a 75 shot dry from a dig:

Spray from 1st Note the alarming drop in Oil pressure.

--------------------------------------------
The oil pressure ALWAYS stays at or above 40 when going from a 2nd gear roll, spray or not.

I'm a bit confused as to what would be causing this. What should be my first thing to check? I'm running German Castrol 0w30 with a Bosche Filter. Should I change the filter to a K&N? My oil pump is a GM LS6 type that was installed with the heads/cam swap < 6 months ago.

Any help/suggestions/advice would be much appriciated, thanks.

Matt
Old 07-22-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a few things. First off make sure it isn't the sending unit or something. Mechanical gauge will ensure that. If it is actually lossing pressure like that it is a problem someplace with the bottom half of the oiling system. The initial hit of the nitrous might be throwing all the oil to the back of the pan and then it sloshes forward causing the loss of pressure. It could be there is a crack in the very bottom of the pickup tube where the pickup hat is actually welded onto the tube and it is sucking in air there. IE once the dramatic sloshing ends it starts pulling oil again. Perhaps a heavier oil might help this or maybe adding alittle more oil might help it. I've heard of some of the roadrace guys having problems from oil starvation and having to run alittle extra oil. I'm not sure how much to recommend so I would check with those guys. Hope this gives you some idea.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:41 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Make sure you aren't low on oil.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Make sure you aren't low on oil.
That would be my first thing to check.