Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z06 cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default z06 cam

just looking for a little extra inbetween sprays, so does anyone have this...is it worth it when i can get the cam, z06 springs, retainers and pushrods? also, can i rev up to 6500rpm with this valvetrain? thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned

Don't waste your time and money on that cam. For all the effort you might as well get something that will add some real power. Consider something from Futral or TSP. Get a cam with a duration of at least 224 and if you want the idle tame get a LSA of 114 instead of 112. I got a small cam the first time around (220/224-114) and after 4 months of weekend driving I swapped in my current cam.

Summary: Go big or go home.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1934995

Please read, there is tons of threads with the same Q
Old 07-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Don't waste your time and money on that cam. For all the effort you might as well get something that will add some real power. Consider something from Futral or TSP. Get a cam with a duration of at least 224 and if you want the idle tame get a LSA of 114 instead of 112. I got a small cam the first time around (220/224-114) and after 4 months of weekend driving I swapped in my current cam.

Summary: Go big or go home.
Firehawk#608, you have excellent taste in cars. Really! But I have to disagree. I decided to go with the LS6 cam after much research. Sure there are other cams that make more power, but this is a great bang-for-the-buck cam from what I`ve seen. All parts total for the swap costs about $300, while a bigger cam with 918 springs and other hardware typically run $700+. Plus, you don`t have to worry about the "effort" required to replace springs every 25,000 miles or so. I was considering something like a 224/.600/114lsa cam, but from what I`ve been reading, most guys are only seeing 5-10rwhp more than the LS6 cam. Not worth it to me. I`ve seen too manygf guys running this cam through stock heads, with only bolt-ons and the cam dynoing 370-390rwhp and running in the 11`s to dismiss it as a "waste of time and money".

Just my $.02.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Hawk312 has a valid point. I hit the gas now and tires start screaming, *** end swerves right and I go like hell. Couldn't do that until I put the "02" LS6 cam in, and all for $500. I went with a SDPC kit that included Manley P-Rods, Springs, Titanium retainers, Rollmaster double timing chain set and the cam. The LS6 "Homeported" heads go in this weekend and I'm sure this is a waste of time and money too!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

I have an 02 LS6 cam with 918's and Manley 7.40 pushrods, just had the limiter moved to 6600, otherwise stock tuning..

Mine runs great and the valvetrain should be fine at that rpm.

Like stated before, there are plenty of other cams out there that make more power.. but not with the driveablity and cost of the LS6 cam.. and just because you might make more power doesn't mean you will always be faster. I paid a total of $325 dollars to put in the LS6 cam, and i'll dropped an avg. .5 second and gained 2.5 mph.

<--------- has outrun a good share of 'bigger' cammed LS1's at my local track.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Launching!

.5 second and gained 2.5 mph.

<--------- has outrun a good share of 'bigger' cammed LS1's at my local track.
This is what I hear is typical with this cam. Some people claim they have gained as much as 4 mph! I hope I improve that much once I get the cam in!!
I have heard the "bigger cam makes more power" argument a million times, but unless the bigger cam is *much* bigger than the LS6, it doesn`t seem to translate at the track, and sometimes even the dyno. I`ve also heard the "LS6 cam only makes power at the top end" argument too. But my thought is this; when you are at the track, you only spend a very short time in the lower RPM range while in first gear. For all other gears, you are at the top of the RPM range anyway, right in the LS6`s power band. To me, this gives you the best of both worlds: driveability that is like stock as well as untouched gas mileage when on the highway, and great power at the top end when driving aggressively. Not only that, but if you are having traction problems at the track to begin with (which I am definitely having), who needs more low-end torque?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hawk312
This is what I hear is typical with this cam. Some people claim they have gained as much as 4 mph! I hope I improve that much once I get the cam in!!
I have heard the "bigger cam makes more power" argument a million times, but unless the bigger cam is *much* bigger than the LS6, it doesn`t seem to translate at the track, and sometimes even the dyno. I`ve also heard the "LS6 cam only makes power at the top end" argument too. But my thought is this; when you are at the track, you only spend a very short time in the lower RPM range while in first gear. For all other gears, you are at the top of the RPM range anyway, right in the LS6`s power band. To me, this gives you the best of both worlds: driveability that is like stock as well as untouched gas mileage when on the highway, and great power at the top end when driving aggressively. Not only that, but if you are having traction problems at the track to begin with (which I am definitely having), who needs more low-end torque?
Thats true, people ask me about my dyno numbers with the LS6 cam and I just say.. "well, it runs 110+ mph on DR's at 5400 ft DA untuned" lol, thats all the dyno I need..

Its true about low end, sure I would like more.. but at the track.. from the time I leave the line to the traps my car NEVER sees below 5000 rpm.

Eventually i'll go bigger on the cam, but i'm going to run this one until I can't go any faster with it first. I can't complaint with stock driveablity, mpg and the sleeper factor.. not to mention i've gotten mine to run pretty well. (not to bench race, but if you correct my times with the horrible DA I 'should' be somewhere in the 11.60's at 117+ and NO i'm not ACTUALLY saying it will run that.. we'll find out how close that it in a couple of months when I visit a track with close to sealevel conditions). I would be very happy with that.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Don't waste your time and money on that cam. For all the effort you might as well get something that will add some real power.

i beg to differ.. i have a '01 TA.. auto with a 3200 stall, midlength headers, lid, cutout, and a ls6 cam off of a '03 Z06

dyno numbers before cam- 313rwhp 371 rwt with a 381 rwt spike

after ls6 cam- 352 rwhp 409 rwt with a 424rwt spike

12.1 @ 109.1 before cam 11.8 @ 110.5 after cam

My gains may not be typical but they sure are noticeable.. I know many guys with much bigger cams that dont even put out the gains my ls6 cam did.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very glad i went with the LS6 cam. Still suckering unsuspecting people every now and then. Picked up 7mph in the 1/4 too
Old 07-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Banned

I bought my current cam for $258 shipped new (MTI liquidation) and got the springs for $100. I spent the same as the LS6 cam and it IS a better use of money. I had a 220/224-114 and wanted more power after 500 miles! That's why I said it was a waste of money, because you usually go bigger anyway- DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!! -rant over.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Former Mods, Lid, PTB, ASP, 02 LS6 cam & springs, JH LT's @ ORY thru SLP DD with a Rapid Mike Kleman Tune.... 362rwhp @ 351rwtq untuned
376rwhp @ 361rwtq tuned

I just was not satisfied at the lowend and midrange of the LS6 cam. It pulled very hard from 4500-6500rpms as the graph above will show. I then swapped to a TR224 112LSA and had it retuned.
399rwhp @386rwtq with a much broader and more powerful powerband.

Driveability w the LS6 cam was stock especially after a tune. Driveability of the TR224 is damn close to stock. I drive this car almost every day and love every minute.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Launching!

I spent the same as the LS6 cam and it IS a better use of money.
Only if that IS what you really want. I am guessing the cam you have will require spring changes more often. Plus, even at the incredible prices you got your parts for, that is still $100 more than what a new LS-6 cam and spring set was quoted for me by a sponser. Are you running hardened pushrods? Stock retainers, etc?
I`m not saying it was a bad decision on your part. I`m sure it was a good one. I`m just saying that it is not what everyone wants, and would NOT be a better use of the money for some people. The cam in my Firehawk, with headers/catless Y/catback and a 383, is a friggin screamer, and I have more than once contemplated a cam swap to something more "stealthy".
Ok, I am done.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I might look into an LS6 Cam after my QTP Headers and catted Y are on next week. I just gotta get used to the added HP after the headers and catted Y and I'll see if I want more