Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally figured out that nasty ticking...

Old 07-29-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally figured out that nasty ticking...

I started hearing a nasty ticking that sounded like bent push rods or a rocker with bad needle bearings. Kept trying to localize, but couldn't figure out where it was coming from exactly (and trying to remember all the times I might have over-reved it...). Well, I took a couple of steps back to think about it, and wham! I realized it was coming from under the body, not under the hood. I had just had my SLP LTs and a Predator tune installed. I heard the ticking sound right away, and brought back to the shop, but they said it was injector noise. They do have 85K on them, so I was suprised they might be so loud, but shrugged my shoulders... Then the noise got louder. Well, it was actually an exhaust leak at the cats. See the attached jpg. SLP supplies you with these thick, but narrow band clamps, and they don't appear to be doing the job. It'll have to wait until Monday to fix it, though. Folks will just have to think I'm driving a ragged out fbody until I get to it. It might be fun little sleeper tactic this weekend... Please little stang owner, wouldn't like to race this ragged out T/A for an easy kill??? It won't seem too ragged out when he's listening to my LTs and Loudmouth at WOT from somehwre way in front of him
Attached Thumbnails Finally figured out that nasty ticking...-slp_lts_and_hf_cats.jpg  
Old 07-29-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got the same setup on my car, it has a ticking noise to, don't seem to be getting louder though stays about the same. The shop that done the install said it was just valve train noise sense I had a bigger cam and stuff put in, but it seems to be coming from under the car more so then the valve train. I will have to check those clamps out. Let me know what you do to fix yours, have it welded, wider clamps, ect... Thanks.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Launching!

By far the best clamps to use on an exhaust system (if you use clamps) are the 3" wide stainless steel type and the best of these are the ones that are stepped for the two different pipe diameters (i.e. 3" ID and OD). These are about the only clamps that don't leak and still allow easy disassembly.

I know Jegs sells them and some of the sponsors might as well.

EDIT: I just looked at the picture of your system and it does not look like you have 3" in which to use the clamps I mentioned.

Steve
Old 07-29-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just FYI, sometimes you will hear a tick from headers and it isn't a leak. Not saying that is your problem but I chased the same problem once. Sometimes if the headers are made out of a thinner material IE 18 gauge or something like that you will hear what you think is a tick but is actually the exhaust gasses pulsing through the headers. The headers on the 4.3 in my truck when it was in there it ticked at a certain RPM. I looked for a month trying to find out where it was leaking. To my surprize the tick went away on it's own after driving it for a bit and getting some carbon built up in there.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schultzsj
EDIT: I just looked at the picture of your system and it does not look like you have 3" in which to use the clamps I mentioned.

Steve
Yeah, there's like no room on the cat side...

Search this Thread