Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke a value Spring

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broke a value Spring

One of my EX Components valve spring broke the other day. Sounded like the whole engine had blown up. Thought for sure we had spun a bearing, but when we took the valve cover off, there it was.

The valve tapped the piston put about a .019 nick in it on the exhaust side. Everything else looks good. No metal flakes in the oil, spark plugs look great.

Is there any reason I should be leering of the engine now? I would think everything is ok, but wanted to see if anyone knew of something I should be concerned about.

Here are some pictures. BTW that is a reflection on the wall above the piston in that picture.
Attached Thumbnails Broke a value Spring-dcp_0002.jpg   Broke a value Spring-dcp_0005.jpg   Broke a value Spring-dcp_0006.jpg  
Old 07-30-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hope you get fixed up soon and caused no engine damage. What exact spring broke?
Old 07-30-2005, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

awww what a shame..
Old 07-30-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

I broke a Crane Dual spring about 1month ago.
http://www.turbofedmax.com/Z06vette/...lvespring1.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/Z06vette/...lvespring2.jpg
That is what happened to the dual spring one of the cylinders.

I got lucky and it didnt bend the valve. I assume you bent the valve and going to replace it. I would think the piston is fine if you really dont want to replace it.

Dixit
Old 07-30-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by Dixit
I broke a Crane Dual spring about 1month ago.
http://www.turbofedmax.com/Z06vette/...lvespring1.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/Z06vette/...lvespring2.jpg
That is what happened to the dual spring one of the cylinders.

I got lucky and it didnt bend the valve. I assume you bent the valve and going to replace it. I would think the piston is fine if you really dont want to replace it.

Dixit
The spring that broke was a EX Components 616 Valve Spring. They are the single type. That's bad that both pieces of your duals broke. Did they say why yours broke?

I assume my valve is bent, we are going to redo the heads with all new valves and springs. We turned the crank and the piston moves normally, so I believe all is well on the bottom side. Guess we both got lucky!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont go looking for trouble. It will show up if its there. Replace the bent valve and change youre valvesprinsg and button her back up.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk
The spring that broke was a EX Components 616 Valve Spring. They are the single type. That's bad that both pieces of your duals broke. Did they say why yours broke?

I assume my valve is bent, we are going to redo the heads with all new valves and springs. We turned the crank and the piston moves normally, so I believe all is well on the bottom side. Guess we both got lucky!
I think it just broke because too many miles, they say not to put more than 50k on these springs, and I was nearing that.

I would just compress the cylinder with compressed air, if the valve spring is completely shattered and you can move the valve up and down by hand, I would check to see if its straight by spinning it and seeing if the shaft moves around or spins on center. If so, you are fine, as I was.

Then as the air is in the cylidner, see if the valve seals, if it seals and you cant push it back down by hand, then its definetely good, as I was.

I just got lucky that even both broke it didnt hit the piston, but I will know in a few days since Im removing the head to put in my new AFRs I think I was lucky cause the springs were still holding the valve up even though it was shattered in those pieces, I still had to compress it to remove the retainers.

Dixit