Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know of a PATRIOT GOLD DUAL SPRING that has broken?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know of a PATRIOT GOLD DUAL SPRING that has broken?

IF i cam up my Z i need to put in the best springs that $ can buy as i cannot risk in my mind any broken valve springs. The cam i put in would be between a .590 and .600 lift and would be somewhat aggressive with specs similar to 232/234 on a 112 lsa and .590 to .600 lift. i know from last year the new comp dual 921 springs are the cats azz. Has anyone broken one of these or know of anyone who has and if so on what size cam specs! :thumbs:

I will proabably spend a few extra $ for the Comp 921s but Patriots golds are great springs and more afforodable and was wondering have any failed yet!!
Old 07-30-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

I think valve spring breakage is not on how they are made, all the companies that do them for LS1/LS6 engines they are all good. Comp, PRC, Crane, etc. The key is not to do kinda what I did and put about 45k miles on the Crane Dual spring setup and then finally one broke. Springs of that nature should be removed at 25k miles or so and checked to make sure they are still good, if not you will break it sooner or later.

I opted for the Comp 918s on the stock LS6 head right now, tomorrow I swap in the AFR 205cc heads and using their spring and titanium retainers.

I like the dual spring setup mainly because of the whole concept of if the main one breaks, the inner will still hold you from dropping the valve. But in my case, I broke both, I got a feeling when the outer broke, one part of it got stuck in the middle of the inner coil and it snapped that one too.

This is what happened to the Crane
http://www.turbofedmax.com/Z06vette/...lvespring1.jpg

You are going to get alot of people say "Comp 921 are better" some will say "PRCs are better" I mean this is straight up who likes what and what experience they've had. Just get whats in your price range and fits with your setup. Some Duals require the valve seat to be modified. The Crane's do not.

Dixit
Old 07-31-2005, 12:34 AM
Banned

Yes, we had one break on a AFR head...didn't hurt anything, just got a new one sent out and back on the road.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dixit, that spring just desintegrated!

I have TEA gold valvesprings (essentially the same as PP, PRC and the like), and Im running a cam about the same size you stated. Ive had no problems so far with about 5K on my cam. Mines a daily driver and I put on a lot of miles. Im not too worried about the springs.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know of a PATRIOT GOLD DUAL SPRING that has broken?