Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace the pan seal in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I replace the pan seal in this situation?

I'm changing cams on a motor and when I pulled the front cover it bent the front edge of the pan seal. It was glued real good from someones previous cam install so it twisted forward some as I got the cover off. I think it would be straighten back out once its all clamped back together but would like to hear from some experience.

Has anyone else had this happen and did it leak or not after you put it back together?

If I do need to change the pan seal whats involved in getting it aligned right when it goes back together. Its on a stand so at least this didn't happen inside a car.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is from a long ago post, author unknown:

"Since the covers and pan and bellhousing are kind of like a puzzle, I Installed the bellhousing on the back of the block then set the oil pan in place. I then threaded and lightly tightened the bolts that feed through the bell housing into the oil pan. This will center your oil pan where it needs to be and allow it to be flush with the back of the block. I then installed and tightened a few of the oil pan bolts to keep it from moving. Now remove the bell housing. Now that your oil pan is in the proper position, your front and rear covers should line up perfectlly. No need for speacialty tools."

I didn't have this happen to me but thought you could use the help on reinstall.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Viper,
Thanks for taking the time to post that up.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:13 PM
FormerVendor

As long as the o-ring isnt ripped you'll be fine. Just brake clean use all the oil away, and use black silicone to re seal it. PM if you need help