Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan quesiton for oil pump swap please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pan quesiton for oil pump swap please.

hello yall i am now removing the pan to cahnge the pump. Do i need to complety remove the bolts our just loosen them enough for the pan to drop? Thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

take them out is easiest way... that way u can slide the pan back. best way is to take the time to remove the motor mount bolts and lift the motor up some so u can pull the pan out...

don't drop you 10mm nut or wrench down the pan.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

i took all the bolts out on mine. made it easier to move around. but when you put your new pump on i lubed the crap out of the o ring with assembly lube and start the pump on the crank then rotate down on the pick up tube. one thing i did was push the pick up tube up towards the pump and with a wiggle it will slide right in. as far as starting the bolt i put it in my ratcheting wrenck and lined it up in the whole. then i put needle nose pliers to hold the bolt while start ratcheting. also put in an old t shirt in or pan as far as you can stuff it. because you will drop the bolt. hope this helps i did my first one the other day.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:45 PM
FormerVendor

You don't need to remove the pan at all. Just loosen the pan bolts to get some clearance. Then, stuff some paper towels down into the pan to catch something in case you drop it. Change your pump, and then reverse the process.