Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some assistance

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Looking for some assistance

About a year and a half ago, I installed a TR cam (224/224 112). I changed springs (918), retainers, and pushrods while I was in there. Anyway, everything went together just fine and the car runs fine. (Idles at 900 rpms and no stalling) Here is my question. Before I installed the cam, I was running consistant 12.7-12.8@ 112-113mph. (Best being 12.74@113.85) After the cam install and a mail order tune, I have been running consistent 13.1 @ 109mph. I tried changing shift points from everywhere between 6000 and 6700. Still ran a 13.1 no matter where I shifted. The only other thing that I changed between trips to the track was a ported throttle body. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I dropped off so much?
I have an appt for a dyno session and HP tuning next week. A quick scan with HP Tuners and it doesn't show any red flags at idle. I do get an occasional engine light (O2 sessors), but it comes and goes. I have owned the car since new so I know the origional cam should have been stock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The car is a 2001 SS and here are the rest of my mods:

FTRA
Holley Powershot
Whisper Lid
160 thermostat
ASP pulley
Ported TB
TR cam (224/224 112) 918 springs, titanium retainers
SLP LT w/ high flow cats
Whisper cat-back
3.73 gears

Before the cam, the only other mods I had were a HPP III and MAF ends.(Both have been taken off after the cam install.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you ever go for a dyno run after the cam? you should have picked up hp definitely, but your mph drop would indicate otherwise.

I'd wait to see what the dyno session you have coming up says before worrying too much.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Teching In

I have never had a dyno run before or after the cam. I did all my "testing" at the track. The car went 13.1 with just a lid.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You installed the timing set off a tooth.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hows it going i saw your run at the track my name is brandon and i spoke to you briefly when i was there last weekend.I would really wait until you get the hp tuners on it and see what those 02's are throwing codes for.Make sure that mail order tune is where it should be and its not something stupid that the guy missed.If that all turns out good then that cam could be off a tooth.i think you would know if it was but its possible.where from rochester are you by the way, i live in greece.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crainholio
You installed the timing set off a tooth.
If I remember correctly, aren't there two dots that you have to line up? I seem to remember paying close attention to that and having my buddy who was helping double check. Or am I missing something here?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redtail2426
Hows it going i saw your run at the track my name is brandon and i spoke to you briefly when i was there last weekend.I would really wait until you get the hp tuners on it and see what those 02's are throwing codes for.Make sure that mail order tune is where it should be and its not something stupid that the guy missed.If that all turns out good then that cam could be off a tooth.i think you would know if it was but its possible.where from rochester are you by the way, i live in greece.
Hey, what's up Brandon? I am hoping that it is just a matter of tuning, but I also just wanted to see if anyone had ever run into something like this.
I live in Penfield, over by Baytowne plaza. Where abouts in Greece do you live?
Old 08-05-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah let me know what you find on the tune.I live in north greece area by greece athena,about a 3/4 mile away
Old 08-06-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOURROL
If I remember correctly, aren't there two dots that you have to line up? I seem to remember paying close attention to that and having my buddy who was helping double check. Or am I missing something here?
If you used a straight-edge and verified alignment between both dots, the centerline of the crank, and the centerline of the cam, then it's ruled out as a cause.

If you eyeballed it and it looked OK, then it's a suspect. Very easy to be off a tooth when installing a cam in-car, because you're often looking at it from the side hanging over a fender.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

One tooth off and you'll feel it, believe me.
No, IMO it is the mail order tune. Get a dyno tune, you'll find your lost power (unless there is another issue like KR). are you M6 or A4? If M6 could be clutch related too.
Also you ran at different days, what was the DA between the two, etc
It is easy to loose .5+sec on unsuitable weather days.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
One tooth off and you'll feel it, believe me.
No, IMO it is the mail order tune. Get a dyno tune, you'll find your lost power (unless there is another issue like KR). are you M6 or A4? If M6 could be clutch related too.
Also you ran at different days, what was the DA between the two, etc
It is easy to loose .5+sec on unsuitable weather days.
That is what I thought too. The car feels fine, and never stumbles anywhere. The car is an M6. I thought about the clutch, but the car only has 17000 miles on it and wouldn't I smell the clutch if it was slipping?
As for the different days, both days where relatively warm. (Mid 80's) I did run once last fall in cool weather (low 60's upper 50's) and it still ran 13.1 @ 109. The only time I see anything slower than that is if I drive to the track and immediately make a run. Generally will lose a few tenths doing that. After a short cool down though, it is right back to 13.1.
Here's to hoping a good tune will make life fun again.