Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

408 Build - what all is needed?

Old 08-06-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408 Build - what all is needed?

I'm new to this stuff, and was hoping to piece a motor together over the next several months by picking up some parts for good deals and such. Before I do, I want to assess what I am getting into first. I was wondering, what all are the complete parts necessary for a complete 408 and what would a shop need to do? I want to price everything out so any help would be appreciated. Also for 600rwhp (w/nitrous) what fuel items would be needed? Here is what I know so far about the motor:

Motor would need:
block, heads, cam, pistons, rods, crank, gaskets, arp bolts, pushrods etc. It would also need to be assembled and installed. Sorry I know this is very elementary stuff, but what would I be missing?

The reason I ask is because i know a shortblock sells for 3500 sometimes but needs various things. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to get a 408 block used then a rotating assembly used etc. to save a hundred here or there.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 89IROCZZ4
I'm new to this stuff, and was hoping to piece a motor together over the next several months by picking up some parts for good deals and such. Before I do, I want to assess what I am getting into first. I was wondering, what all are the complete parts necessary for a complete 408 and what would a shop need to do? I want to price everything out so any help would be appreciated. Also for 600rwhp (w/nitrous) what fuel items would be needed? Here is what I know so far about the motor:

Motor would need:
block, heads, cam, pistons, rods, crank, gaskets, arp bolts, pushrods etc. It would also need to be assembled and installed. Sorry I know this is very elementary stuff, but what would I be missing?

The reason I ask is because i know a shortblock sells for 3500 sometimes but needs various things. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to get a 408 block used then a rotating assembly used etc. to save a hundred here or there.

Thanks!
I wouldn't buy used. Simply because you'll have to recondition and that costs money.
Try to piece together with new parts, then take everything to a reputable and experienced LS1 shop and pay for assembly/blueprinting/ balancing.
By that time you'd have taken the old motor apart, Keep the covers, pan, and peripherals.
Take all of these to the shop too and voila, 1 kick *** 402/3/8

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 408 Build - what all is needed?