Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the major drawbacks of driving a rich running untuned car after a cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the major drawbacks of driving a rich running untuned car after a cam swap?

My car was tuned on a dyno the way it is now but without the cam installed.

Now that the cam is in, the car is running pretty rich...you can smell it when you stand behind it with it ideling. It's not to the point that there is gas dripping out the exhaust, but at idle, it's definitely noticeable.

Originally, the tune was supposed to happen only about 3 days after the cam install was completed, but we had some scheduling issues, so it's been 2 weeks so far without a tune. During that time, I put around 200 miles on the car.

We right away installed my new TR55 IX plugs with the cam, but since I have been running it for 2 weeks now (mainly on weekends) is there a chance that they have gotten fouled....at least partially? What did this do to my cats (Random Tech...real tiny ones that you can see through, they came with my Stainless Works Y pipe)? The car runs fine once it is up to temperature and pulls very strong. The only SES light I get is the P0300 random misfire code common to cam swaps.

Of course I use 93 Octane fuel only, and I changed the oil 80 miles after the cam swap.

Will any of this running rich affect anything...will it throw off something on the dyno?

I am new at this as you can see.....

Thanks for any input.

Manny
Old 08-06-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get it tuned soon. The biggest thing you have to watch out for is washing your cylinders walls with fuel.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Also, backfires and coating your cylinders/chambers with carbon and serious HP loss.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

It's not doing your car any favors. If you still have cats, it runs the risk of fouling those. Same for the front O2 sensors. Won't do the plugs any good either. 200 miles should not be enough to damage anything....but a tune is in order. If nothing else...the crappy idle on startup and hard to start prob when the engine is warm (I know you have the TR224) is enough to warrant a tune.

In a pinch, TR can provide a tune for you. Their tune was a bit conservative, but was quite good for a mail-order one and not having my car on a dyno when they did it.

BTW, I'm supposed to be getting my car dynoed next Saturday (13 Aug) to see if all this $$ was worth it. I'll post what I got....as we have almost identical mods
Old 08-06-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the 224 on a 112, you have enough overlap for it to be a little inefficient at idle so you are going to smell some unburned fuel. As stated above - the biggest problem is gas wash on the cylinders, and not a major concern for a few hundred miles.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

As of now, I have no backfires, and no hard starting problems. I am guessing the initial tune with the headers on did it some good.

By the way, I think the only reason it runs "crappy" when it's still cold is because I am trying to keep the revs low and shift very early...therefore it bucks more which I guess makes it feel like it's driving crappy.

I am going to not drive it until I'll take it to have it tuned this tuesday. Guess I'll take my Colorado out pimping......lol, if that's possible.

Manny
Old 08-08-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

When do you know it's running too rich....as in...."you shouldn't be driving it" rich. I mean...it's a good indication that there's too much fuel going through if there's gas coming out the tail pipe, mine doesn't do that at all.

Work has been stressy...so I probably can't get it done now for a while...like till next week. I really want to get it done soon though, I hate driving it if I potentially hurt something.

Then again...driving my truck is nowhere near as much fun as the car.

Manny
Old 08-09-2005, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
When do you know it's running too rich....as in...."you shouldn't be driving it" rich.
Pull out 1 or 2 spark plugs and if they are black W/carbon on them you are rich they should be a gray color.

Quick Reply: What's the major drawbacks of driving a rich running untuned car after a cam swap?