Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another fricken "What Heads ???"

Old 08-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another fricken "What Heads ???"

I never thought I would be posting asking which heads, holy ****, shoot me now!

Ok, here is the planned setup:
I have:
347ci, Flattop Diamond Coated Pistons (top and sides) CompStar Rods w/ ARP 2000bolts, FTI custom cam 231/242 .630/.622 114* (ground to compliment 300shots of nitrous, power band 3000 to 6500rpms).

Cmotorsports Level 2 4L60E w/ Fuddle 3800 2.5str Stall. (will swap for TH350 later when needed not if, but when).

Nitrous, wet n dry mix, still working on the dry side, but capable of over 300shots, will be limited to 300 though.

What I will be getting as time and finances permits:
Billingsley Fab'd 9", gears to match weight, rpm, tires etc..
Denny Nitrous Ready DS

Need a set of heads to flow with that cam, compression, have decent low lift flow for streetability and hold the nitrous. My picks are narrowing:

1) ET Performance new casting, with Ti Intake valves and their recommended finishing touches.

2) AFR 225cc Small Chambers, but seems like I will have everything ready before these heads are even released, and I dont prefer to buy a head to have it milled if I can get a head casted with a smaller chamber already, leaves more off the table than I would like.

3) TEA but not sure which one, so I would let them match it up.

My concern would be the stock deck not holding the cylinder pressure on the juice.

No flame wars here please, and f*ck the search button, it showed no one else asking this particular setup! Thanks though.

Charlie
Old 08-08-2005, 12:37 AM
10 Second Club

I'd still have to go with AFR.. You obviously dont have a problem spending the money on quality parts so I see no reason not to wait a lil while on the AFR's to be released..
Old 08-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only negative with the AFR 225's is compression.
I would either do a stage 2.5 LS6 head from TEA or a 205 AFR head milled to 59cc's.
The 225 small chamber will be great if they ever come out.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:17 AM
TECH Resident

I'm starting a FI build myself and have narrowed my head choices down to the same players. I think I'm going to go with the new ET Per. heads if I can get them at a reasonable price, If not I've found some really good deals of AFR 225's. Although the AFR's have proven to be great heads, I don't think they are in the same ball park as the big ET's. Although I don't have all the numbers I suspect the big ET heads are going to flow just as good (maybe better) as the new LS7's will.

There are a LOT of new heads coming out in the next 6 months... todays standard might be sub par in a few months. I need to make a desision soon because I believe the pistons will have to be specialy cut for the 11* ET heads (I haven't checked yet...).
Old 08-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Wet 1
I'm starting a FI build myself and have narrowed my head choices down to the same players. I think I'm going to go with the new ET Per. heads if I can get them at a reasonable price, If not I've found some really good deals of AFR 225's. Although the AFR's have proven to be great heads, I don't think they are in the same ball park as the big ET's. Although I don't have all the numbers I suspect the big ET heads are going to flow just as good (maybe better) as the new LS7's will.

There are a LOT of new heads coming out in the next 6 months... todays standard might be sub par in a few months. I need to make a desision soon because I believe the pistons will have to be specialy cut for the 11* ET heads (I haven't checked yet...).
During my inquiring nothing was mentioned about special order pistons, MOF I broke down my specs and all. I am very impressed with the time, information exchange, and timely respsonse from ET Perf., if their post purchase Customer Service is anything like the pre- they will be an excellent choice, which is how I am leaning. Luckily for me, I am not on a time line, until the stock bottom blows.

Charlie
Old 08-08-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

I'm just guessing on the fly-cutting of the pistons, I assume it would be different because of the angle.

Search this Thread