Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cam or Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Cam or Engine Rebuild

Hey guys i have a question, i am thinking about putting a cam in my car. Its a 1999 SS, however the car currently has 112K miles on the motor, i just had the trans rebuilt and beefed up about 5K miles ago. The car seems to burn a little oil, especially when i get on it. So im wondering should i even waste my time installing a cam, or should i get just a completely new rebuilt shortblock?

I would like to go FI sometime down the road, definitely not right away. What would be my best bet? Also what about heads? can i just take my heads and get the reworked to save some money? or would it be better to just buy new heads also? Any help would be REALLY appreciated.. Thanks
JacobK
Old 08-08-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok there are a few questions so I'll try and answer the ones I can. First I have a 103,000 miles on my car and have had this cam in for several thousand miles. Car runs strong. I would throw the cam in there, it may take car of some of your oil issues (maybe a bad valve seal) or it may make it worse. I see no reason why you should buy a new shortblock now when you can just get it later, unless you can't afford any down time. I'd buy new heads from a vendor. I'd personally go with prc stage 5.3L's if you are on a budget. If you aren't get something from TEA or AFR.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Check compression and/or do a leakdown test to check the rings and such. If that looks fine, then the bottom-half of your engine will be fine for a cam.

Just upgrade pushrods, lifters, timing chain, oil pump, and valve springs when you swap the cam for added safety, since those items do wear down over time. A new cam will definitely beat on the valvetrain more than stock, so you should worry with beefing that area up.

As for heads, that's a big debate right now. Most ported heads will pick up 30-50rwhp depending on the cam and the heads. My suggestion is to buy what you can afford, and buy from who you feel comfortable doing business with.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help guys...
Old 08-08-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

You should be fine, but I wouldn't go too big on the cam though. I wouldn't want to spend that motor past 6500 very much if I were expecting it to last a couple years before you get a new shortblock.

Jason
Old 08-08-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would rebuild at that mileage. Especially with your future plans, and cam it then with a blower cam. It will not be optimal now, but you will be prepared for the blower and wont have to mess with it later. Just get some good springs with the cam. Once you go boosted, most people always will be hooked.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya..thats what i figured i mean, i am going to eventually go Forced Induction of some sort, i would rather be turbo, it wont hurt it to do a new shortblock with a blower cam, without having a blower or turbo on the car? what about compression?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It wont hurt it at all, it will have more power, just more optimal for FI. If you are going 10 lbs or under id go with 9.5 or so compression. Afr is the perfect head but costly. I went patriot this time, next time afr, and alot more boost, among other things. My patriots have took alot of abuse and are still ok. Depends on what you want to spend. Turbo would be cool, lots of torque, and no parasitical loss.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i think it seems like it would be better in the long run to just do a rebuild, so i think i am going to go that route..if anyone has any other info let me know
JacobK