Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which head for which side?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which head for which side?

OK, tried searching, couldn't find any relevant terms to turn this up. Which head would go on which side when using F-body accessories? I'm putting the motor together for my LS1 powered RX-7 and noticed that my shiny new TEA 5.3 heads have 4 accessory holes on one side and five holes on the other. Obviously you could swap left to right depending on how many holes you needed. I'm assuming that the diffeence is for a Vette or F-Body app? Of course my FSM doesn't mention this and I couldn't turn anything up over @ LS1howto.com.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Old 08-09-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

doesnt matter. you can swap the heads from either side and the bolt holes will always stay the same. at the front of the engine you will see 5 bolt holes on the driver side and four on the passenger side no matter how you put them on.

brad
Old 08-09-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just make sure the coolant plug is installed in the head you'll put on the passenger side, before you put that head on. Definitely easier than installing it after the head is on the motor. Leave the coolant temp sender out of the same hole on the driver's side until after everything else is buttoned up, so you don't snap it off (been there done that a couple times)
Old 08-09-2005, 07:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Brains
Just make sure the coolant plug is installed in the head you'll put on the passenger side, before you put that head on. Definitely easier than installing it after the head is on the motor. Leave the coolant temp sender out of the same hole on the driver's side until after everything else is buttoned up, so you don't snap it off (been there done that a couple times)
Old 08-09-2005, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help guys. I feel like a moron after looking at the heads twice I don't have a coolant plug for the pass side, so I guess I'll have to hit up the dealer for that (and the heads are on now...sigh). As far as the coolant sensor goes, I have to fashion some sort of adapter to get the RX7 coolant temp sensor into the LS head.So I'll save that dilemma until right before the motor goes in.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Which head for which side?