Sponsored by:

Pulley help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 03:00 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Pulley help

I am doing my cam swap now and would like to know where you guys are putting your three jaw puller to pull the stock pulley? any pictures would be great. thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Inbetween the 3 "spoke's" on the pully there should be a tab that sticks out thats where I pull mine from.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-11-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't get any better than that unless he's color blind
Old 08-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this was the most frustrating part of my whole cam install (besides the tedious work of the springs). I used a few different pullers that I was told would work by autozone and they all didnt, so finally i talked them into letting me get the one I wanted in the first place. It was a PIA the first time of getting it on, but after that it was like riding a bike. Except, my pulley was pretty rusted and broke where the puller was pulling (i dont even know who it was that rusted since the rest of the car is in such great shape, on with the story). So, I called a friend over and he helped me pull it off the old fashion way (I dont recommend this at home b/c you can do some serious damage if not careful). We took to bars and slowing loosed it off the car (I was laying underneath the car and he was above the car. We were very careful not to move it any way but straight off and I dont believe we hurt it a bit.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by conan
Old 08-11-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by conan
LOL, too funny.

Originally Posted by Lucian
this was the most frustrating part of my whole cam install (besides the tedious work of the springs). I used a few different pullers that I was told would work by autozone and they all didnt, so finally i talked them into letting me get the one I wanted in the first place. It was a PIA the first time of getting it on, but after that it was like riding a bike. Except, my pulley was pretty rusted and broke where the puller was pulling (i dont even know who it was that rusted since the rest of the car is in such great shape, on with the story). So, I called a friend over and he helped me pull it off the old fashion way (I dont recommend this at home b/c you can do some serious damage if not careful). We took to bars and slowing loosed it off the car (I was laying underneath the car and he was above the car. We were very careful not to move it any way but straight off and I dont believe we hurt it a bit.
WD-40 is your friend.

Originally Posted by yak
I am doing my cam swap now and would like to know where you guys are putting your three jaw puller to pull the stock pulley? any pictures would be great. thanks
Just make sure you don't pull from the outside, or may make brake the pulley lip or damage the elasticity of the pulley. They're not solid, they're actually two (or more) spereate peices bound together by rubber (or other material)
Old 08-11-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Just make sure you don't pull from the outside, or may make brake the pulley lip or damage the elasticity of the pulley. They're not solid, they're actually two (or more) spereate peices bound together by rubber (or other material)
That's true. I pulled the pulley from the outside cause I couldn't get it to fit from the inside. Ended up taking about a 3/4" chunk out of the lip of the pulley. It was still usable but it broke nonetheless. I have an asp pulley now so it don't matter anymore.

If you have trouble getting the pulley back on (which you will ) get some wood and a hammer. Put the wood over the pulley to where it goes all the way across and then start hammering so it will get on the pulley. Put the old bolt in and turn it AT LEAST 3 FULL TURNS. If you can't get that keep hammering until you can. Then pull it on. Then get a new bolt and torque it to ~240ft/lbs.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

or get some metric threaded rod (cost me about $10 for a foot of it blus two nuts at the local hardware store) and pull it on. I don't like the idea of pounding on the crank, but that's just me.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I never said I liked the idea. I just neve went out to get the threaded rod. I didn't think about it.