Sponsored by:

Engine is whining

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine is whining

hey everyone,

I installed my cam last summer and I have put ~6K miles since. The cam is a 220/216 with (if memories serves me correctly) a 540/580 lift (something like that). At the time of the install, I also installed a new pulley, timing chain, pushrods and most importantly patriot dual valve springs.

After installing it, I drove it for around 40 miles then changed the oil to Mobil 1 5w30 (have changed it 2 times since then as well) and used AC Delco oil filters. I was living in amarillo and would always let the car fully warm up before driving it. I did have a small problem at the beginning with the car throwing belts, but it doesnt seem to be a problem anymore.

To my problem: I moved to dallas about 3 months ago and dont let the car fully warm above before leaving, yet i keep it under 3 grand (98% of the time before fully warming up) and if I do accelerate a little quicker and raise it to 4 grand, the car is already pretty much warmed up I believe (since the temp guage is 100%)

About a month and a half ago the car started to have a loud whine to it when first being started up and would quit roughly after 15 minutes of driving. I figured it was the belt since it probably had a nick in it from being thrown off (partially, it never fully came off). So I finally got around to changing it today and the noise is still there.

So, I investigated further and it appears the noise is coming from the passenger side of the engine or possibly from the front. I believe this b/c the piercing pitch is higher at these locations. Also, the noise becomes louder as the engine revs higher (you can even tell at a few 100 rpm increase).

What else could it be? possibly a spring? anything else?

My driving style: I drive it 20 miles from/to work everyday on the highway. Most of the time in the morning i will be moving at a rate of ~80 mph and will shift to 5th when really needing to pass someone quickly, but rarely will i ever go into 4th (unless traffic is halted a great deal). Usually when headed home I am in 2nd gear doing an amazing 10 mph (along with the occasional 2 mph intervals...gotta love traffic up here). To sum it up: I do drive at higher speeds when possible, but my rpm's are usually at a low number. For instance, when passing I will downshift to 5th and the rpm's will rarely go over 3500 (b/c that is plenty of passing power/gas expense IMO and I still get past the car quickly w/out disturbing other traffic).

Sorry to make this so long, but I wanted to give you everything so an educated guess could be made.

thank you for reading through this and I appreciate any help in advance.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the tensioner on the top pass side, My buddies went bad in his car & it sounded like it had a blower on it, it was whining so loud.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Launching!

that would explain why the belt was being thrown earlier to. It's funny you say that b/c it does sound like it has a blower on it. In fact the other day i was at a stop light with my windows cracked and I heard the kids in the taurus beside me yell out "dude its gotta supercharger on it" as they were making their turn.

So that gives an idea of how loud it is.

Maybe i can talk my wife into letting me get a new tensioner (and maybe a few other things while I am at it...lol)

Is there an easier way to tell than just replacing it, could i take the belt off and start the car up and see if it is still doing it?

Thanks again
Old 08-11-2005, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucian
that would explain why the belt was being thrown earlier to. It's funny you say that b/c it does sound like it has a blower on it. In fact the other day i was at a stop light with my windows cracked and I heard the kids in the taurus beside me yell out "dude its gotta supercharger on it" as they were making their turn.

So that gives an idea of how loud it is.

Maybe i can talk my wife into letting me get a new tensioner (and maybe a few other things while I am at it...lol)

Is there an easier way to tell than just replacing it, could i take the belt off and start the car up and see if it is still doing it?

Thanks again
Yeah you could take the belt off to see if that was it, but dont let it run long or you'll be replacing more than a tensioner...
Old 08-11-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take the belt off and turn the pulley. It should make very little to no noise at all. If it makes a grinding or squeaking noise, then you know that its the pulley. Or you can turn the car on, and use the redneck listening stick, or a stethoscope to see where the sound is originating from.

I had to deal with it in my GTP.... I replaced every damn pulley there was..

Very cheap part to replace considering what it's failure could result in. Autozone has great quality GM replacement pullies.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 6 cyl is starting to do that too, and a buddy got in the car to go to lunch. He thought I had installed a supercharger too
Old 08-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Launching!

great info everyone, I will check the pulley as well. My pulley is an ASP pulley that was installed with the cam. I will check it this weekend and give a heads up of whats going on.

hey ROCNDAV, I am impressed that your v6 has 212,000 miles on it and it is still kickin (everyone must thank you are trying to be a sleeper with no badging and that blower whine...)
Old 08-11-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Start with the belts!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lucian
hey ROCNDAV, I am impressed that your v6 has 212,000 miles on it and it is still kickin (everyone must thank you are trying to be a sleeper with no badging and that blower whine...)
Thanks. That was my intention with the LS1 covnersion, keep it as a sleeper. Then somewhere along the line all that went out the window. Im am now thinking GMMG exhaust and Sunoco Hood as well as an LS1 facelift
Old 08-12-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check to make sure power steering fluid it topped off. Mine made that noise when it was only about an inch low.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Launching!

when i changed my oil last week i checked it (power steering fluid) and it was a bit low, so I topped it off. I didnt realize it would cause you to make a noise though, that is good to know for later use.

I have not had time yet this weekend to further look into the problem, yet have I driven it. I have either been taking the DART or my wife's car to where I need to go.