Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHAT?!@? chain rattling noises from my engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 03:27 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down WHAT?!@? chain rattling noises from my engine bay

okay, so when I turn my car on, and she idles, I can hear this sound like someone rattling a very small chain. Like holding it in the air and shaking it. If you have ever heard those dodge caravan van engines, its the same noise. My car just passed 82K, and i have no idea what's going on with this noise. The noise showed up probably about 1K ago, and has gotten louder and more regular. Not noticing any loss of power. It's irritating the **** out of me though.

Just moved to TX from PA, so no other options if the car dies, so please give me your thoughts! Thanks.

Brad

EDIT: Oil changed just before my move to TX, about 1.5K ago.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Launching!

i'm having a similar problem and described the sound just as you did. sounds like chain links rattling. after looking under the car many times, i pinned it down to being exhaust related. i visually inspected the y and downpipe with the car running and noticed the rattle/buzz when the exhaust piping vibrated. i'm 99% sure it's the o2 sensors thats making the rattling/buzzing sound. but i'm still perplexed as to how. there's a thin metal ring that's kinda loose where the wire connects to the sensor, but that's not what's causing the buzzing.

i actually just got done inspecting it again, and i could not unbolt the passenger side sensor . i got the driver's side out, but the part that goes into the y pipe looks to be a solid piece, so i'm not sure what's causing the rattling/buzzing sound. it IS the sensor because i can pound on the y-pipe (with the bottom of my fist) and it will rattle, once i took it off and pounded it, no rattling.

but i'm going to upgrade my exuast soon and will most likely get new sensors or sims, so hopefully it will take care of the problem. if not, i'll probably kill somebody.

it's so annoying and makes the car sound like junk.

i suggest lifting the car and try to pinpoint where it's coming from. at first i thought it was my tranny.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:17 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

agreed. And I'll shoot you a PM when i get her up on a lift to let you know what I find. Hopefully we can BOTH get this fixed.

Brad
Old 08-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Thumbs down

Possibly a pulley bearing on the serpentine... Maybe alternator or AC, etc.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, Id pull as much off the engine as you could, even pull the y pipe and all belts and fire her up. If the noise is gone, atleast you know its external.

Quick Reply: WHAT?!@? chain rattling noises from my engine bay