Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank and piston question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank and piston question

I'm in the middle of re installing this crank. I just got it turned. It looks pretty good, as i was about to install it i noticed a very small chip about the size of the tip of a lead pencil. Really really small. Should i take it back and have them resurface that or could i install it? If i do install it like it is. Will it just spin another rod bearing?

Also, when installing the pistons. Do they go back in any particulare order. Or could i just put them back in? I didnt notice any numbers on them. On the tops there is that dot on all the pistons, So those dots all point towards the front of the motor. Is there anything else i need to look out for ?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chip in the crank? Do you mean it was dinged after it was ground? That would need to be polished out. It is OK to have a divot, but not OK to have metal standing tall, even .001 would be bad. Pistons in what hole?? You are putting new rings on aren't you?? It would be best to put them back in the same hole.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by racecar
Chip in the crank? Do you mean it was dinged after it was ground? That would need to be polished out. It is OK to have a divot, but not OK to have metal standing tall, even .001 would be bad. Pistons in what hole?? You are putting new rings on aren't you?? It would be best to put them back in the same hole.
Somehow the pistons got all mixed up. Dont ask, the car is not being worked on at my house.

No he is not replacing the piston rings. Is that gonna be a problem? The motor is an 02.

It had alittle ding that went into the crank after it was ground.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Here is a pic of what im talking about.

Will this cause a problem (like spin another rod bearing) or could i go ahead and install the crank ?

Also on one of the pics i circled one of the sides. It looks alittle un even. Any input?
Attached Thumbnails Crank and piston question-dsc01679.jpg   Crank and piston question-dsc01684.jpg   Crank and piston question-dsc01686.jpg  

Last edited by Camaroguy; 08-17-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

I would definitly get that polished out if it was mine....
Old 08-17-2005, 03:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its no way I would use that crank with that in it. I couldnt see the motor making the 1k mile mark. Get it fixed.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Resident

Fix it... hone it and replace the rings.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Launching!

The bolts that hold on the main caps are they re usable? Both the vertical and horizontal bolts are reusable? Also, do they need lock tight on them?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah crank bolts are reusable. YOu need new rings and a hone. Otherwise i can almost guarantee blowby.

Dave
Old 08-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Launching!

I got the crank sent back out to get fixed.. They said there might be a possibility that the crank can break when they try to weld or fix it... But they said that the first time i took it to them. So, not worried about that. But i will be needing new main bearings and rod bearings....

alright.. The hone needs to be done on the heads, correct? Could the hone be done at home. Or will i need to get that sent out also?

Also, why does it need new rings? I see you mentioned blowby, but what causes that? Just because i pulled the pistons outta the heads? The motor has 33k miles. Spun a rod bearing and thats it. I didnt think i needed to replace the rings also.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Launching!

So could i get by without replacing the rings?