Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS3 or SI5 or suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default MS3 or SI5 or suggestions?

Hello. I am looking at getting a very ncie and pwoerful cam for my daily driver TA. I will have full exhaust and a 3600 or 3800 stall before i get this cam and all other bolt ons. I am mroe than likely getting the patriot spring kit with dual springs, retainers, seats and seals. And getting Chrome moly stock length pushrods, ported LS6 oil pump, double roller timing chain. Now my question comes..... Will i have to upgrade my lifters to be safe with the MS3? Is it a risk or not even close to a problem? Also do you think the MS3 is too big of a cam at Daily Driver? I want to reach 11's with this cam and get as mcuh power as i can of course but dont want to be stalling out everywhere. The lope the MS3 has would be a sweet sound but any other problems rise from such a big cam? If i decide the MS3 is too big, i will prolly go with the Comp Cam SI5 with is 231/237 at 112 and of course your prolly no that the MS3 is 237/242 at 113. So which one would you suggest for me? And the lifters.......

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-15-2005, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you that the MS3 is extremly daily driver friendly. With Jason's mail order tune I have seen no bucking, surging, or stalling. I couldn't be happier with mine.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

In my research, there are nothing but good opinions out there about the MS3. I'm near positive you can re-use your stock lifters. People have suggested that I go with a smaller cam, but I don't want to spend all that money and end up with a cam that is smaller than I'd like.

I'm hoping for 400whp cam only, and this is the cam I'm going with.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok awesome. Just so your know GM Muscle. Your car is my car's idol, lol. I want it to end up jsut like yours performance wise. You helped me out a lot when i was a newb and ever since i have been totally impressed with your car. It is an awesome performer and looks killer. Well anyway i was hoping you would chime in and for sure you did. You convinced me. MS3 it is. Does it sound like im getting all and the good stuff of all the extras for install? Should i pay the extra money for upgraded lifters and extra for them to be installed for safety? Thanks

Old 08-15-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is a 3600-3800 stall going to be enough for a cam that size? dont mind my me i m a m6 guy lol
Old 08-15-2005, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go 3800 as the absolute minimum. When I installed my MS3 my converter was only a 3500 and it was NOT enough so I had it restalled to 4000. Works nicely now.

It's perfectly fine as a daily driver and should work well for anybody who doesn't mind some stumbling from time to time, mostly when cold or shortly after startup. (never dies)

You shoud be fine on stock lifters, but some people do recommend upgrading them when running dual springs due to the extra pressure. I'd be all for it but don't want to pull the heads.

From talking to you before I think it is a good choice.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Alright thanks Austin. Only reason why im not crazy for a huge stall like 4000 or 4200, is because i plan on spraying in the future and i guess you shouldnt go any higher than 3600-3800 on spray or else it with blow right threw the converter. Is this correct? So thats why i went with the median..... 3800 2.5 str.Yea i contacted speed inc about getting all the stuff for the cam. They suggested me the SI5 as they thought the MS3 would have real bad idle with the A4 but the verter should help that out. They said i really dont need lifters for the SI5 and it would cost extra for thelifters of course....and more installation to pull the heads. However a blown motor is the very last thing i want to happen. How much of a chance do you think i have running the MS3 on stock lifters?

Old 08-16-2005, 06:36 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks man. I think most MS3 users are still using stock lifters. I have not had any problems with mine. If you plan to spray the car I would go no higher than the 3,600-3,800 range like you mentioned. A smaller stall does work fine with this cam but if you where trying to run all out N/A, you'd want the 4K+. The MS3 does not idle bad at all, most people actually think my cam is smaller than it really is when they hear the car. I have not come across any stumbling issues blkZ28spt mentioned. But as you know, every car is alittle different.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

FYI: I get the stumbling when idling in gear for the first few minutes after startup on COLD days (think winter in Indiana) and when idling or moving around very slowly (parking lot situations) immediately after startup. It's really a VERY minor issue but I know people who really don't like the sound of their car stumbling. I suppose that if you really didnt want it all you'd have to do is let the car idle for a minute or two (maybe a little more) before driving away. I normally just get in and go.

Once the engine has any heat in it and I've driven at least a half mile or so it's nice and smooth.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok awesome. You guys got me sold. Now since i will be running NA usually a lot all the time around town etc since its my daily, i should prolly go with a bigger stall, however later i iwll want to srap it. So would you say 3800 2.5 str is the perfect one for this? Enough for NA and not too big for nitrous?You guys are awesome. Thanks again. ALso any other safety things i need when urnning in the 11's? I saw a 6 pt rollbar is needed for 11.99 or faster, Should i look into maybe purchasing one or any other items? Thanks again

Old 08-16-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i run the ms3 on stock lifters, everything seems good so far. i think the reason speed inc is pushing the si15 is because they dont sell the ms3 which is understable. i too reccomend the ms3, driving it around untuned w/ open headers and stock gears it runs a lot better then expected. i think w/ some exhaust it will run a lot better, but so far it hasnt stalled or anything (i suck at driving a stick, maybe 2 weeks experience so far). it seems to have a little bucking trying to go very slow (parking lot situations), or cruising at like 70mph in 6th at very low rpms. i really think some 4.10s would help me out tremendously along with the exhaust. i say go for the ms3!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
Now since i will be running NA usually a lot all the time around town etc since its my daily, i should prolly go with a bigger stall, however later i iwll want to srap it. So would you say 3800 2.5 str is the perfect one for this? Enough for NA and not too big for nitrous?
Around town you don't really want or need a huge stall to match the cam. It's when you hit the loud pedal (espeically at the track) that you want the high stall speed.

Originally Posted by Superman09
You guys are awesome. Thanks again. Also any other safety things i need when urnning in the 11's? I saw a 6 pt rollbar is needed for 11.99 or faster, Should i look into maybe purchasing one or any other items?
I am not sure, but didn't the NHRA change the roll bar rule to 11.4999 like the IHRA? A roll bar isn't a bad idea regardless. It is at the very top of my list for future mods, as a matter of fact. You should also have a DSL (driveshaft safety loop) by now. I am guilty of having niether of those, since my track doesn't care.....

DO get a good helmet if you don't already have one. A helmet (not a motorcycle helmet) is required per NHRA standards to run 13.999 or quicker. They are kinda pricey, but something very important to have IMO. You will want something that is Snell SA2000 approved. Those ratings are accepted for a period of 15 years past the date. Bell is a popular brand, and who I ordered from.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hey, so you think a 6 point bolt in case and a driveshaft safey loop? is needed and a helmet of course for safety? Well i iwll check into those things. Thanks

So the stall is fine around town its jsut when u floor it you need the higher stall to get you that boost in the Cams RPM range? Thanks for the help guys