Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did a bad thing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default cracked block

I got a 98 block off a guy on this here forum sight unseen! He guaranteed that it was a builder, good condition etc. Once I got it I found that the block was hydro cracked from torqing down the cylinder head with fluid in the bolt holes. Only one looks really bad but at least 3 others are visibly cracked. I can weld these things up and helicoil if necessary but I was told I was getting a good block ready to build so should I attempt to repair the block or try to get my money back? Will it need helicoiling or resizing to 1/2 studs? Here are a couple pics...

????? I paid $200 for the block with all the covers so at least I'm not out a lotto money but still I would have not bought this if he had given me any indication there were cracks or that it was not ready to build...

Last edited by SS2win; 10-15-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert on this but from what I understand it's now an anchor... Sorry hopefully some one has better news. Did it have all of the accesories and stuff thats at least worth two hunnie.

Or you can just kill him.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL so what do you charge for a hit cause you are closer that I am ... save me some driving time

I've read that it is an anchor too but with a little wedling and some studs... hmm maybe? fawkit I should have held out for a 01 and up block.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Uhhhm how do you want it done? (said in the voice of Don Corleone) We know some people.

Just make a coffee table outta the damn thing
Old 08-17-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nah, I've used blocks that were cracked like that and they held up just fine. Just weld it, chase the threads, and then do your normal machining (line bore, cylinder bore, hone, etc.). $200 is definitely a fair price for the block, but I think the seller definitely should have disclosed the crack if he knew about it.

In fact, I have two in the garage right now with cracks that I fully intend to use
Old 10-14-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE

WTF, I need some practice welding cast aluminum so I hit it. all the dirt in the casting makes for a pretty nice mess but I got it undercontrol pretty much. feels good to hit some aluminum for a change. found out my welder DOES need a 100A circuit for this ****. lol

well here's some images. kinda fugly cause I touched down a bunch or fed the filler to the tungsten. next one will be much better (hope not to need to do this again).

the middle pic you can see I had to go nuts on. it was the worst and the first i tried. the other two went much faster and smoother. think I have the "trick" to doing this worked out now.

So I have another block coming from a corvette that had 20k. virgin tear down. this one is for sale if anyone wants it. moneyback guaranteed that it wont leak. lol.
Attached Thumbnails I did a bad thing...-dscf0001-sm.jpg   I did a bad thing...-dscf0002-sm.jpg   I did a bad thing...-dscf0003-sm.jpg