Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need rocker help

Old 08-22-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need rocker help

Hi,
I installed my harland sharp rockers and torqued them down to 22ftls, and I noticed that 3 o them are compressing the valve and non of the others are. Is this normal.

Its the first one on each side, and the last valve on the passenger side. The cam should be degreed right now from HPE, so Im wondering if this is normal or if I did something wrong?

Looks kinda wierd, these 3 seemed to thread down farther and then I noticed that they were compressing the spring

thanks
ed
Old 08-22-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

bueler, bueler
Old 08-22-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it's normal. If you spin the motor by hand you'll notice that those that are down now, will go up, and others will depress. I had that happen to me when I did my cam swap. I torqued them all down to 22fps (some rockers depressed) and I've been perfectly fine ever since.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can only torque down rockers that are based on the stock design.I dont know what the harland sharps look like but aftermarket rockers usually have to float and be set based on preload.If it is a stock design rocker and a few of the valves are opening i would say its pretty normal.Turn the motor over by hand and see if they close and if a few more open.If they do i say its good to go..
Old 08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Banned

I've had Harlans, and you're fine. They torque down like stock. I've been puzzled too about the different amount of turns till tight from rocker to rocker.

I ended up selling mine after 2k miles. Went back to stock. I'll say one thing. Those Harlan Sharps sure LOOKED good!
Old 08-22-2005, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

if anything, loosen up roller rockers some then re-tq as required.
I'm not trying to hijack here 69firebird,with due respect I have a question for firehawk#608, I'm looking into purchasing some Harland sharp roller rockers, why did u remove them after only 2k miles?

fuerzaws6
Old 08-22-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

alright, I thought that I would be ok, but I was just worried cause it was only three, and they didnt appear to be paird in a firing order.

im going to sping it tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Banned

Being dead honest with you, I was hooked by the low price for full roller rockers. I put them on and noticed a lil' extra valvetrain noise, but I ended up selling them to pay for a cam. (plus I couldn't use the 1.8 rockers) When I took them off I noticed that the shafts that connected the two were seized together on one pair!

I put those rockers on twice, and I KNOW I did them correctly. Plus I felt the bolts binding when taking them off. I just didn't feel they were worth keeping.
If I had to do it again, I wouldn't put a set on my car if somebody GAVE them to me. That's my feeling on it....
Old 08-23-2005, 03:28 AM
Launching!

I just changed pushrods and springs in my car and when i tightened down my rockers they did the same thing. 2 or 3 of the springs were fully compressed in some weird order that didnt look right. I havent finished putting it back together bc i was worried something wasnt right and i couldnt figure it out..Guess its ok...

Search this Thread