Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should i do with my old block
All motor, high reving, destroked beast looking at 9k and up
21.43%
High boost sustaining machine 20psi and up possibly destorked as well
50.00%
other, your choice (for example selling it..)
28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

spare motor, what should i do...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spare motor, what should i do...

Ok ladies and gentlemen.....

I, after a very heated debate from my old engine mechanic, i now have my old spare LS1 motor in my possesion. Basically, i left the motor there in a crate until i hade room to put in someplace, though i took 5 months to finally get it out. i was under the impression, knowing that this guy is a untrust worthy piece of "work", for lack of a better or slanderous word or phrase, that he wouldnt mind since he told me and i quote "take your time.." I should of known!!

Anyways, i go to day and he wanted to charge me five months of storage fees!!! I was like Hell naw and after he saw me calling the police, he said funk that and just take it and get out of here!! What a tool...should of known from a mustang guy!!! (HAHAHA just kidding guys, seriously, that was a joke....... but he is a tool of his own creation!!

Ok, well maybe not a short stroy but back to the topic.....

I have a used motor, LS1 with stock heads, valve, rockers...everything!!! I believe i spun a rod. I checked the block and i didnt see any clracks or anything like that..

So, if the block is rebuildable, which i believe it still is, what should i do with this jewel.

My plans are to build another car with this motor and have something different. Practical and of course, beautiful. I can get hans on a 68 69 camaro a drop in the motor but that isnt the reason for this inquiry.

I would like to know what you think on the possible choices i have here or anything else tha might come to mind... I would like it to be on pump gas and streetable.....but a little nasty lope wont hurt me!!! hehehehe

Thanks,
Angel
Old 08-24-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

give it to me....................seriously tho
Old 08-25-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

naw, i wish i could help..........

ttt
Old 08-25-2005, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

de-stroke it and boost it to hell and back. With a T-56 behind it, should make for a dirty frwy car.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

thats it guys...

i know its not a big topic of discussion but im interested in ya'llz opinions
Old 08-26-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a toy, building a destroked high rever would be pretty neat. I don't know if the intake is there to support 9k, but you could make 7500 - 8000 easily and use 4.33 or 4.56 gears and have a fun street machine.

Maybe it is too close to your 408, but an all bore 388 solid roller shifting at 7500 would be a good toy. The extra cubes makes for nice torque even out of its power band.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Launching!

A couple of thoughts for you, good luck finding a early Camaro in any shape for a decent price, or you can sell me the motor as is, or my nephew has a 71 Camaro he will part with cheap. We live in S Fl.

Originally Posted by obZidian
Ok ladies and gentlemen.....

I, after a very heated debate from my old engine mechanic, i now have my old spare LS1 motor in my possesion. Basically, i left the motor there in a crate until i hade room to put in someplace, though i took 5 months to finally get it out. i was under the impression, knowing that this guy is a untrust worthy piece of "work", for lack of a better or slanderous word or phrase, that he wouldnt mind since he told me and i quote "take your time.." I should of known!!

Anyways, i go to day and he wanted to charge me five months of storage fees!!! I was like Hell naw and after he saw me calling the police, he said funk that and just take it and get out of here!! What a tool...should of known from a mustang guy!!! (HAHAHA just kidding guys, seriously, that was a joke....... but he is a tool of his own creation!!

Ok, well maybe not a short stroy but back to the topic.....

I have a used motor, LS1 with stock heads, valve, rockers...everything!!! I believe i spun a rod. I checked the block and i didnt see any clracks or anything like that..

So, if the block is rebuildable, which i believe it still is, what should i do with this jewel.

My plans are to build another car with this motor and have something different. Practical and of course, beautiful. I can get hans on a 68 69 camaro a drop in the motor but that isnt the reason for this inquiry.

I would like to know what you think on the possible choices i have here or anything else tha might come to mind... I would like it to be on pump gas and streetable.....but a little nasty lope wont hurt me!!! hehehehe

Thanks,
Angel
Old 08-26-2005, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you seem to already have gone the stroker route. Why not mix it up and try something different? Maybe try the forced induction route. You'd have two very fast cars, but done with two different trains of thought behind them. It would be fun to say to your pals, "Here's my n/a stroked car, and over here is my boosted car!" Good luck with whatever you do!
Old 08-27-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

thanks...

You see, that in essense is my situation. I love boost and its very addictive. VERY!!!! And i would love to build that kind of motor.

But.....i have always had this dream of putting together a high revving 8 cylinder. As for the intake....maybe a barrel-type (stakes) intake with independent tb's. I figured a destroked, though it would yield a narrow powerband, i just find it sweet to have a ls1, for example, prepped to rev to 9k or more.....i know it can be done, the technology is out there,..

But any other suggestions.

Though i know its tough to find, i kno of this one shop that has a few hanging round and though th owner is not the kind that budges..mabe i can get a good looking on. If not, there are other, out of state options, and not to mention the new shell that is being produced. a nice corvette chassis, hardtop 69 camaro with a ferrari-type american motor, maybe on boost (ohhh!!!!)....now that is my dream machine ladies an gentlemen....
Old 08-27-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

So long as you use a dry sump and solid roller, its verry possible. The most expensive part is gona be the heads, and sheet metal intake.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

I'd build it to boost the living hell out of it.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know your budget, but if that's what i wanted I already know what i would do. De stroke that beast, solid roller C5-R heads and ITB intake