Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple questions about new motor...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple questions about new motor...

I am a noob to this, but am trying to learn, so please be gentle.

I have done a lot of reading and searching lately on these things, and still have questions. New block is an LQ9 402.

1. Rear cover. What do I need under it. I have ordered the main seal, and the cover gasket. Are there any other bolts, plugs, etc. back there???

2. What order do the oilpan, front cover, and rear cover go on best??

3. I removed AC. There are two lines that come out of the waterpump. Do I need to keep those in the car? I would like to remove the evaporator, but those concern me.

4. I remember there being a couple 'plug' like looking things in the side of the block when I pulled the stock motor. Yellowish in color. New block has the holes, but I don't have the plugs. What are these called?? And how many of them are there??
Appears to be one at the front of the motor near the alternator bracket, and one next to each motor mount.

5. Anything anyone can give me to help. I haven't been able to find much in the way of pics. Assembling and such.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

HELP ME!!!! PLEASE!!!

I am getting so close to finishing up, and I want to make sure I don't screw something up.
Also....what did some of you guys use to block off the hose connections from the A/C to the evaporator?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

1. You may also need a rear oil galley plug (looks like a dumbell). I don't have the PN, but you can do a quick search and find it.

2. Someone made a great post on how to put the oil pan/covers on. He recommended bolting the bell housing on and then install the oil pan against the houseing. From there install the front cover and then the rear. Having the oil pan set, will set the height of the covers. Don't forget the RTV in the corners of the covers where they meet the oil pan and block.

3. ???? I still have my ac

4. The brass plugs (yellowish) are coolant drain plugs. Without them, all your coolant will be on your garage floor. You also need to make sure that you install the front & rear oil galley plugs (front side and rear side of block, aluminum color). Those are the ones I had to install when I got my motor. Depending on how much of the motor is assembled, underneath both the front and rear covers is another (different) set of oil galley plugs that needs to be installed.

Matt
Old 08-29-2005, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you!!!

Gonna have to look up all those oil galley plug part numbers. Time to visit the dealership.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Start with this... it's from a part of a procedure I wrote to make sure I put everything back together and didn't miss a step. The page numbers referenced are the GM Manual pages the info came from. I can't swear to the part numbers, but they should be a good start.

7. Apply Teflon thread sealant to sealing washer of passenger side rear coolant drain plug (P/N 12561663) and install drain plug into block
8. Torque coolant drain plug to 44 ft-lbs
9. Apply Teflon thread sealant to sealing washer of driver side forward oil gallery plug (P/N 11588426) and install plug into block
10. Torque oil gallery plug to 44 ft-lbs
11. Apply Teflon thread sealant to sealing washer of driver side rear oil gallery plug (P/N 11588426) and install plug into block
12. Torque oil gallery plug to 44 ft-lbs
13. Lubricate o-ring of rear oil gallery plug (P/N 12573460) with engine oil
14. Install rear oil gallery plug into block so that the plug is .8-1.4mm below flush (p.6-517)

15. Apply red loctite to sides of front oil gallery plug (P/N 9427693)
16. Install front oil gallery plug into block until it is 2.2-2.8mm below flush
Old 08-30-2005, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you VERY much!!!

Gonna verify those part numbers and order them.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

I am getting all sorts of part numbers.

I am getting what you have for the coolant plug. 12561663
But for front oil gallery plug I get....9427693
Rear plug I get....12558340
Then you need the 'bolts' that hold the plugs in place. Two of these....21007339.

Sound right to anyone???
Old 08-31-2005, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

I don't know about any bolts to hold the plugs in place

Quick Reply: Couple questions about new motor...