Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too many bad cam sensors - reluctor issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Too many bad cam sensors - reluctor issue?

OK, so I did a H/C swap in my driveway a few years ago and everything went smooth. About on year ago my cam sensor went bad. No biggie- I just ripped off the intake and replaced it...

Unfortunately, the sensor went bad again. Last week I replaced the sensor and ripped off the front cover to see if my cam was sleep walking. No deal - everything was tight including the double roller, cam, cam retainer, pump, etc.

I understand there is a reluctor wheel in back of the cam; right?

Does this ever go bad? Could this cause cam sensors to go bad? How do you replace teh cam reluctor?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
OK, so I did a H/C swap in my driveway a few years ago and everything went smooth. About on year ago my cam sensor went bad. No biggie- I just ripped off the intake and replaced it...

Unfortunately, the sensor went bad again. Last week I replaced the sensor and ripped off the front cover to see if my cam was sleep walking. No deal - everything was tight including the double roller, cam, cam retainer, pump, etc.

I understand there is a reluctor wheel in back of the cam; right?

Does this ever go bad? Could this cause cam sensors to go bad? How do you replace teh cam reluctor?

"Anything can happen" but this is one of those "you have a better chance of being a$$ probed by aliens, being elected president of the US, and banging play mate of the year....all in one day".......

the reason I say this is that "reluctor wheel" is ground into the cam (it's not pressed on like the crank) so it can't move and nothing ever touches it (unless you have a catastrophic failure).....

my guess is you either have a bad wire somewhere, you damaged the sensor when you put it it, your computer could be going "bye bye" (mine did), or you really did get a bad sensor......(I know.....narrow list )....

Quick Reply: Too many bad cam sensors - reluctor issue?