Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seal Install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal Install question

I took my rear cover off to replace the rear cover gasket, now I'm installing the new Rear Main Seal. When using the "hit it with a piece of wood" method to drive in the rear main seal on, should the rear cover bolts be loose to allow the seating of the gasket to align the rear cover? Do I have to go buy the alignment tool?

Also, any tips on getting the seal started? I'm trying to use a screwdriver with a gentle touch to get the seal to start over the crank. Any better ways to do this?

Thanks
matt
Old 09-05-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Put some grease on the seal and on the crank this will help getting the seal over the crank and help so the dry seal won't burn on the dry crank. Do you have the seal in the rear cover already??
Old 09-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I put the cover back on first per the GM manual and then attempted to put the seal in. The GM manual says to make sure the inside of the seal and the crank itself are dry, free of any lubricant or dirt, so I didn't put any grease or anything on the inside. Just on the outside of the seal and on the cover where the seal seats.

The seal just looks off to me (more gap on one side than the other).
Old 09-05-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was assembling my new moter I put the seal in the cover and then carefuly put the cover on the moter. I used grease on both the crank and the seal and haven't had any problems. The seal was a pain in the *** just take your time.