Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short block from Racetech problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default short block from Racetech problems

Hello everyone, I want to say something about a block I got from Racetech speed and performace. Terry build the block for me.
I received the block with the valley cover installed, the oil pan installed and basically the shot block was sent to me ready to go....
well here is where the problem beguins. I installed the engine and fired it right up, I noticed it started to consume oil, about a quart every week. so I start to look under the car for the obvious. I noticed that the oil was coming from the oil pan joint where it meets the block on the back side of the engine. I went ahead and got the torque meter to check them for tightness and to my surprise, the damn bolts where stripped..all the ones from the middle of the pan to the back. I am so pissed right now its unbelievable. It took about 10 weeks for the block to arrive and now this CRAP I think I have to pull the engine again and see if the threads are salvageable, I hope that the block is not ruined since its a brabd bew forged bottom end....

waht I am looking to find out its first of all what would you do if you where in my position...

second of all, can this problem be fixed...?

thanks for your help in advance
David Teran
Old 09-07-2005, 02:09 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

U might be able to helicoil each bolt hole
Old 09-07-2005, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to helicoil them. That does suck though man. Ive been reading since you started posting in the sponsor feedback section about receiving your motor. I would contact Terry (goodluck) & let him know the problems. It really doesnt surprise me though, I wouldnt trust that idiot with anything I owned. I just cant see him building motors. His shop or his 2 car garage is about 30 miles from my house. Ive been there & Ive talked to him. He's your typical salesman, he will tell you what he thinks you want to hear just to get you off his back. Trust me Ive been through it once before with him. Let me know what you find out.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I called him today about 1:30pm and got his voice mail. I sure hope he makes this right since I have to go trough all this crap again. I know he did it since He installed the oil pan, I just want the damn car to run with no problems, it has new heads and new block and the damn thing is not running because of someone not paying attention to the torque specs....I think that was the problem.
David
Old 09-07-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Z'mnypit]You should be able to helicoil them. That does suck though man. Ive been reading since you started posting in the sponsor feedback section about receiving your motor. I would contact Terry (goodluck) & let him know the problems. It really doesnt surprise me though, I wouldnt trust that idiot with anything I owned. I just cant see him building motors. His shop or his 2 car garage is about 30 miles from my house. Ive been there & Ive talked to him. He's your typical salesman, he will tell you what he thinks you want to hear just to get you off his back. Trust me Ive been through it once before with him. Let me know what you find out.[/QUOTEI on

The only service that I performed for you was dining your car. I have no other dealings with you, on my own thru Racetech. Where you come up with the rest of your bash is beyond me. Considering that I have a degree in mechanical engineering and that I am a certified Tool & Die maker, I completely understand the mechanics of threads. I would not have knowingly shipped a motor this way. I am dealing with David; everything will be fixed to where he is satisfied.

Last edited by Terry@RacetechSpeed; 09-07-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spoke with David,everything will be taken care of.

Last edited by Terry@RacetechSpeed; 09-07-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=Terry@RacetechSpeed]
Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
You should be able to helicoil them. That does suck though man. Ive been reading since you started posting in the sponsor feedback section about receiving your motor. I would contact Terry (goodluck) & let him know the problems. It really doesnt surprise me though, I wouldnt trust that idiot with anything I owned. I just cant see him building motors. His shop or his 2 car garage is about 30 miles from my house. Ive been there & Ive talked to him. He's your typical salesman, he will tell you what he thinks you want to hear just to get you off his back. Trust me Ive been through it once before with him. Let me know what you find out.[/QUOTEI on

The only service that I performed for you was dynoing your car.Where you come up with the rest of your bash is beyond me.
I know that, but you were talking alot of BS to me before you even went out on your own. I think you know exactly what Im talking about to. "Hey lets put a set of heads on you car, & a cam so you can take it to the southern shoot out." Does that ring a bell? Im not trying to bash you, just stating the facts. Ive seen and heard nothing but bad things about you & your work. Im mean hell, my buddy I rode up there with gave you $350 for a POS tune. One that you couldnt even get right in two times. But anyways this man has a problem with his "Racetech engine" so lets get back to the thread.

BTW- Why do you still have Terry@racetech when there is no longer a racetech garage? Nor are you a sponsor. Just a thought.

Peace,
Vann
Old 09-07-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep us up to date as to how everything turns out
Old 09-07-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Z'mnypit]
Originally Posted by Terry@RacetechSpeed
BTW- Why do you still have Terry@racetech when there is no longer a racetech garage? Nor are you a sponsor. Just a thought.

Peace,
Vann

Racetech is still in business.At this time,I am not a sponsor,nor have I been advertising as one.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=Terry@RacetechSpeed]
Originally Posted by Z'mnypit

Racetech is still in business.At this time,I am not a sponsor,nor have I been advertising as one.
Hmmm, interesting!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did spoke to Terry today at about 2:35pm and told him about my problem, we agreed that it will be taken care off. basically I will take the engine to a machine shop and get it fixed there. I dont want to be messing with the threads there since I have never done that before. I will start work on it on the weekend of the 23rd since I am in school. right now the car is back on jack stands and waiting for a fix.....
David
Old 09-07-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98hc4mula
I did spoke to Terry today at about 2:35pm and told him about my problem, we agreed that it will be taken care off. basically I will take the engine to a machine shop and get it fixed there. I dont want to be messing with the threads there since I have never done that before. I will start work on it on the weekend of the 23rd since I am in school. right now the car is back on jack stands and waiting for a fix.....
David
I feel your pain man. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well here is a little update, I took the block to a machine shop to get some holes helicoiled, there were 4 of them that were bad. I talking stripped out. so I started to put it back together, I installed a new oil pan gasket and applied some RTV to it for security. I then assembled everything to put it back in the car. the car was done and ready to go on Sunday at 1800, I took it for a test run and check for leaks and GUESS WHAT.....its still leaking oil.
- I noticed the oil comming from the bellhousing,is it possibly comming from the main seal behind the flywheel????
I checked it and it seems like Terry installed a new seal there since it looked new. but where is the danm oil leak comming from. IM SO FRUSTRATED...

-i though about the possibility that the oil was tranny fluid...no its not.
-also I cheked if the fluid was brake fluid from the clutch.....nope.
Im wondering if its the seal located in the crank. since it seems that that is where its comming from....but when I pulled the motor, I took out the flywheel to check it and seemed clean.
-
I took the motor out of the car myself and went through all the trouble to fix the stipped bolts, now I am thinking to take it to a shop to get a second opinion about the rear seal....what do you people think

this has been nothing but head aches. the block was supposed to be good to go, and all I have encounter was for it to be a pain in the but. hopefully this situation gets resolved
David
P.S
Im not bashing on Terry since he has agreed to get me fixed up, but I still think that all this should not be happening
Old 10-03-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only way to know for sure is to pull off the rear cover. I know how much it sucks since I've done it, but a shop is just going to guess if it is not a visible leak. The seal kind of looks like a v where it seals around the crank and if the inner lip is ripped in the slightest it will leak. How is the crank case pressure. If you had a lot of blowby it can leak out the front and rear crank seal.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do I determine if its blow by?
what can cause blow by. I know that blow by its an accumulation of pressure in the engine, but what are ways to cure this. also How can I check if it is blow by??
thanks in advance
Old 10-03-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you open up the oil cap while the engine is running and it is flowing alot of air out of it then you have a blow by issue. It is when the rings either are not gapped right (too big of a gap), or the rings didn't seat right and are not sealing well. I would think it is more probable that the seal is bad, but you never know. You could also do a leak down test to see if there is excessive blow by past the rings. I know it is a pain in the ***, but keep plugging away at it and you will solve the problem. Getting more people involved can cause more problems, and from my experience doesn't usually help the original problem.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will poke around it thie weekend again. see what I can find, Im planning on removing the tranny and taking the rear cover off, checking for the freeze plug, and applying some RTV on the rear cover by the bolts...hope that cures it.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well here are some updates on my problem:
I have been trying to contact Terry Wilks and have been unsuccesful, I havent got any call backs or responses to my pm I sent him. I asked for him to pay for 1/2 the price of the repair to replace the rear main seal. and the full price for the helicoil job. now the car is not leaking oil.
-I took the car to RPM and they put the car in the dyno to check how it was running and the damn car starts oulling time once you go WOT. it is sensing knock, its not false knock accordong to Brian who tried to tune it. there where things I will go into later about the previous tune done by you know who, that were not quite right.
so I agreed to go back next wednesdays with new plugs and dyno it again to see if we can get it right.
I think we are putting in tr66 instead of the ones I have and hopefully it goes and runs strong without a problem.

the main thing is that I have not been contacted by Terry to get me taken care off, maybe he can chime in and let me know whats up
David
Old 10-13-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this thread still working?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

t t t im haveing some major problems with him also, check the sponsor or should I say former sponsor section