Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have Quicktime Cam Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have Quicktime Cam Cover?

Thinking about buying one with oil pump, but I have some questions. What kind of gaskets come with it? Are they re-useable? When I change cams do I have to order another gasket for the upper half? How does it seal between the upper and lower piece? Does the lower half tuck into the oil pan? Does the oil pump use the same o-ring setup as stock? Your opinions, please.
Thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump...curious too.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Best to contact Barry at QTP directly on this, but I did look over the pieces at Corvettes at Carlisle a couple of weeks ago. The oil pump is slightly larger and requires their cover. The two piece cover top piece has a ridge that locks into the bottom piece (not a very good description). My guess in looking at it is you seal the two pices together with silicone where they interlock.

Oil pump looked like a good unit, and if I remember right, has a 2 mm thicker gearotor. It comes with two springs, one for higher pressure and one for stock. They recommend the stock spring for stock pressure unless you are all out racing. Other than the slightly thicker casting, units looks just like stock so I assume the stock o-ring is used. Cover is CNC machined and hogged out of billet, lot of machining and looks real good.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:02 AM
11 Second Club

I only wish Barry had come out with his timing chain cover 2 cam changes ago!

vettenuts: It was nice meeting you at Carlisle.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Same here, will be doing my Crane rockers soon, to be followed by the cam
Old 09-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to have the cover, but for $400ish they want for it......... I will pass

Keith
Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

This was the e-mail reply to my questions. Sound like I will be working overtime to get this.

You reuse the factory timing cover gasket. It does not go bad. They are
reusable. The upper half has a machined lip and we supply anaerobic
sealant
that you apply to the lip. No leaks. The lower half is the same set up
as
the factory it is bolted to the oil pan. The oil pump comes with 2 new
orings. Use the one for your car. GM had two styles. It uses the
factory
pick up tube. Any questions feel free to call us.
Sales Team
www.QuickTimePerformance.com
201-444-0998
Old 09-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Launching!

These covers are a great idea! I would have gotten one for my latest cam swap, but I did learn that they do not fit over a double roller timing gear. Do you know if this is still the case, do they have one that clears?
This would save hours, I hate removing the power steering rack and can't stand dealing with the torqueing of the balancer..
Old 09-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z06-Dave
These covers are a great idea! I would have gotten one for my latest cam swap, but I did learn that they do not fit over a double roller timing gear. Do you know if this is still the case, do they have one that clears?
This would save hours, I hate removing the power steering rack and can't stand dealing with the torqueing of the balancer..
I thought I read on this forum that even the C5R doesn't use a double roller? My plan for the balancer is to stuff it in the oven at 200 deg. for 20 min. If all of this is acurate info, I should be good to go with this split cam cover!
Old 09-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99C5Coupe
I thought I read on this forum that even the C5R doesn't use a double roller? My plan for the balancer is to stuff it in the oven at 200 deg. for 20 min. If all of this is acurate info, I should be good to go with this split cam cover!
Stock is a single but aftermarket upgraded chains are not. But you are right, they really aren't needed unless your going for large amounts of HP.

Even by sticking your balancer in the oven it will take alot of persuasion to get it all the way on. I just swapped mine last week, the oven method was basically worthless for me. You might want to buy the longer bolt, that works best.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z06-Dave
They do not fit over a double chain.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Its a sweet piece. Getting one when i put a cam in. Friends have it on there car and seals up well. No oil leaks.
I would use the ls2 chain with your factory sprocket. No reason for a double, no matter how much power you have. Never heard of any one breaking a chain.