Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

increasing duration, Crazy idea that came to me

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 04:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default increasing duration, Crazy idea that came to me

Ok this sounds crazy but I think it would work. On the timing chain set-up the cam sprocket is about 2 times larger than the crank sprocket. If the cam sprocket was to be slightly increased in size or the crank sprocket reduced you would be increasing duration since the crank would still be turning the same speed but the valvetrain would be moving slower. I think that if someone could build a set that increased duration say 20 degrees over stock or maybe more that someone could get extra power with out swapping cams and be able to use valve springs that are for lower lift cams like 915's and ls6's. also make the timing set be adjustable would be a must. anyone think that this would be something of interest to others? Of course it is like 4:30 in the morning so it may not be as good of an idea as it sounds like at this point.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default creazy yes

he he good crazy thinking but it will never work. Get to know how 4 cycle engines work better then you will figure out why.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:58 AM
12 Second Club

i thought the ratio had to be the same, 2:1 for crank:cam. If you change that wouldnt it be out of sync?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mazdized
he he good crazy thinking but it will never work. Get to know how 4 cycle engines work better then you will figure out why.
i know how a 4 cycle engine works really good. keep in mind that the idea hit me at 4:30 in the morning so I didn't think about it all the way through. the idea came to me because I have a 3.7 dodge engine torn down with 2 cracked cylinder heads at work and was thinking about the timing chain setup and the cam timing on that engine with its single over head cam.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What he meant was that if you decrease the crank sprocket, you need to decrease the cam one too. You can't just enlarge or decrease one without the other.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, if you add or subtract a tooth from one or the other without keeping the 1:2 ratio, every revolution of the engine will make the cam timing a tooth off. The next revolution it will be offf 2 teeth, then three, and so on. The cam timing just wont stay in sync with the pistons, not to mention that youll likely start putting valves through your pistons after the first or second revolution.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

nicely put! wont work or it would've been done long ago.

fuerzaws6
Old 09-08-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

yeah like I said. I typed this before I thought of all that I was thinking of it like a pulley instead of a sprocket.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:38 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
i know how a 4 cycle engine works really good. keep in mind that the idea hit me at 4:30 in the morning so I didn't think about it all the way through. the idea came to me because I have a 3.7 dodge engine torn down with 2 cracked cylinder heads at work and was thinking about the timing chain setup and the cam timing on that engine with its single over head cam.
It's alright. It's good to think out side of the box. Not all ideas work. Just like some people don't know how to communicate!