Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam Bearing question

I picked up a shortblock from a guy on this board. When I pulled the cam that was in the motor the cam bearing looked messed up. I called the previous owner and he said he noticed it but has had no problems. So I put the rest of the motor together. ITs in the car and will be started tomorow. My question is how bad is this bearing? and will it be a problem ?
Attached Thumbnails Cam Bearing question-cam-bearing.jpg   Cam Bearing question-dscf0069.jpg  
Old 09-08-2005, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that close-up pic makes me cringe.

To add to this (even though I know offaxis doesn't want to do this)....
How extensive is it to replace the bearings. I know they don't cost anything, but what about the work involved.

Not making excuses here, but that does look worse than when I sent it off. Maybe it is just the pic.

I had no problems with the cam either. Came out looking fine. I think I scored that bearing with a lobe on a cam.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Mr. Luos:

Im not sure hwat that comment means "but that does look worse than when I sent it off" because this is exactly the way you sent it to me. I called you as soon as I saw the motor and told ya about it because I was not told about this before i bought the motor.. Ofcourse I am hoping this will not be and issue. As you said you didnt have any problems with your cams and had good oil pressure. Lets hope I have the same
Old 09-08-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

In person without that close up picture it doesnt look as bad. I was supprised how detailed that picture came out.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, dont even attempt it. That cam bearing is screwed. For a whole set its only $25. You start it, its going to cost alot more. Your prolly going to have oil pressure issues bad... Just my .02
Old 09-08-2005, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by offaxis
Im not sure hwat that comment means "but that does look worse than when I sent it off" because this is exactly the way you sent it to me.
I know. I meant the picture makes it look much worse.

I know you really want to run this car, but I would recommend me buying you some bearings and figuring out how hard they are to install.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

they are a pain in the *** to put in while the block is assembled. maybe impossible if the block is in the car. if the block is disassembled (which if it isnt i would disassemble it for keep sake) and check the rest of the bearings. will only cost about 150 in bearings and if you a mechanically apt you can do it yourself. but i am one of those guys that if i am building a shortblock and i install a cam and scratch the bearing i replace it no questions asked. bearings are an area of the engine you DO NOT want to skimp out on. but best of luck which ever route you pick.

brad

P.S. i just realized my english is terrible. lol
Old 09-09-2005, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

More than likely you will have to take the block & have the cam bearings installed. I just called a local shop yesterday for mine, & to vat it, hone it, & install the cam bearings they said somewhere around $100 or less. SO save yourself the trouble pull the motor & have those bearings replaced.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
More than likely you will have to take the block & have the cam bearings installed. I just called a local shop yesterday for mine, & to vat it, hone it, & install the cam bearings they said somewhere around $100 or less. SO save yourself the trouble pull the motor & have those bearings replaced.

I would do a full blown inspection and replacement of all parts on any used block, that I would reassemble and install reguardless of miles and condition of motor. Previous owner dose not know as well what is going on inside, but can give you a rough idea of its life. Unless it is a brand new short block, than you have a warrenty to go with it vs a used block.

I agree with Zmnypit
Get a new set of bearings. Yes it will be a pricey pain, but well worth it, it in the long run. And you will have the piece of mind knowing that all is good. And on failuer will not lead to another. And it will give you chance to inspect all other parts as well. Hope you caught this before you put the motor back in the car.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Here ya go man

Cam bearings- $23.99
Rod Bearings- $69.99
Main Bearings- $69.99
New motor after no oil pressure due to bad cam bearings-$$$$$$$$$.99
Just take your time & make sure everything is right, trust me it will pay off in the long run.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=Mr. Luos]I know. I meant the picture makes it look much worse.

The pic makes it look exactly how it looks, real bad.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TKAYRC3

The pic makes it look exactly how it looks, real bad.
You would have to see it in person and then see the pic. The pic makes it appear much worse than what the eye saw. At least to me when the block was here.

Anyways....they are not bad anymore. He had them replaced, and I am sending him money for that.
It is my fault, and I honestly completely forgot about that bearing when I put it up for sale.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

ls1s do seem to wear cam bearings. Mine showed copper on left and right sides at 20k miles. i still have good OP and just left em alone

dave
Old 09-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Launching!

That is the worst looking bearing I have ever seen except for rod bearings that have been spun and hammered flat. I don't know how you would even get that kind of damage ... and what condition are the other bearings in??

It amazes me how often we have these discussions AFTER the motor is assembled and installed. It would have been so cheap & easy to have a machine shop install cam bearings the short block while it was out of the car. Water under the bridge though.

You do need to change the bearing but the thought of tearing the motor out and back down enough to take it to a machine shop makes my stomach hurt and it is not even my problem. Although it is far from ideal, I would try doing it in the car. You could maybe get it in ok with the proper tool and a hammer but I don't know how you would get the old one out - perhaps you could drive it through and turn it sideways or make some inventive use of a puller.

Good luck man - that sucks,

Steve
Old 01-10-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to dig up an old thread... but damn.... and here I thought mine were bad for showing a little copper.

Quick Reply: Cam Bearing question