Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Afr205,90/90,Tune????

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afr205,90/90,Tune????

I got a 02SS just installed Afr 205,fast 90 intake,NW90mm can I run on the stock tune for a while?Already had ls6 cam,hooker LT,TCI 3500,3.23gears Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Old 09-13-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by marine02ss
I got a 02SS just installed Afr 205,fast 90 intake,NW90mm can I run on the stock tune for a while?Already had ls6 cam,hooker LT,TCI 3500,3.23gears Any suggestions greatly appreciated
This is America - You can do anything you want.

You should get it tuned as soon as possible
Old 09-14-2005, 04:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My advice is don't! Just drive it to get it tuned. thousands of $$$ on parts and running on stock tune is loco in my book.
I repeat it again, "TUNING $$ SHOULD BE PART OF MOD SWAP BUDGET"
Old 09-14-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

All day.

I ran cam/headers only for a few thousand miles and the car ran great idled even better and put down big numbers and ran 12.69. Many thousands of miles later I added heads/intake and the car ran even better and idled perfect without tuning for thousands more miles. I broke down and paid to get it tuned (W2W) this summer and it runs exactly the same (perfectly). I picked up maybe 8 hp.

That is my experience anyway. I would think the 90/90 might need some idle help....
Old 09-14-2005, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would not drive it too much un-tuned. my car was running so rich it could of damaged my rings. don't spend the money on parts to take a risk,be smart and get a tune ASAP. as predator said,it should be part of the budget. goodluck to ya.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

I have the fast90 w/ 90mm tb. 220 @50 cam and 1.5 tea heads.
untuned the car would barely idle hot. i just got a programmed ecu yesterday
that i'll install asap.
i'll post on how it runs when it's done..

note: i think the intake/tb is my issue. so, we'll see..
Old 09-14-2005, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

definitely get it tuned, you'll never se the benefit of those parts if you are fighting the computer. and like it was stated above that is a lot of money to spend on parts and then let them all go to waste or even damage them by not having them properly tuned. Your A/F ratio is gonna be messed up with the 90/90 and heads.

I vote tune it ASAP
Old 09-14-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Scare tactics and half truths. Who really knows what his A/F is/was/will be on his stock tune and/or new set-up. I bet it will be fine. Each n/a set-up is different but look at the cam he is running. I have already bet my car that running a similar set-up without a tune for thousands of miles would not be an issue and that a tune will not always help (at least numbers) much. That is what I am basing my judgement on. But I am one of the knuckleheads with a hole in my t-body.

Don't let psuedo-truths/opinions and the internet make you spend your $$ on tuning that set-up. Start it and drive it, and then determine. Sure it is hard to argue tuning won't "help" but "can I run on the stock tune for a while?" is the question he asked here.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirek
Scare tactics and half truths. Who really knows what his A/F is/was/will be on his stock tune and/or new set-up. I bet it will be fine. Each n/a set-up is different but look at the cam he is running. I have already bet my car that running a similar set-up without a tune for thousands of miles would not be an issue and that a tune will not always help (at least numbers) much. That is what I am basing my judgement on. But I am one of the knuckleheads with a hole in my t-body.

Don't let psuedo-truths/opinions and the internet make you spend your $$ on tuning that set-up. Start it and drive it, and then determine. Sure it is hard to argue tuning won't "help" but "can I run on the stock tune for a while?" is the question he asked here.
It is not "pseuso truth" it is actual facts. If you had a monitoring device you could alter an induction part and watch you LIFTs go bananas.
Anyone that understands injection/MAF tuning would not say what you just did.
Too rich and you damage various areas, too lean and it is even worse.
A good wideband dyno tune is usualy around $500 then if needed to retune for further mods it is just dyno time.
That is part of modding.
Sound advice can be taken or dismissed, but whoever understands FI tuning knows that I gave just that.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

You can do whatever you want.

Personally, I wouldn't waste all that money on mods without getting tuned.

Tuning allows you to take full advantage of your mods and get them all working in synch. Better tune = More power. I'm after more power.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:32 AM
12 Second Club

All day.

I ran cam/headers only for a few thousand miles and the car ran great idled even better and put down big numbers and ran 12.69. Many thousands of miles later I added heads/intake and the car ran even better and idled perfect without tuning for thousands more miles. I broke down and paid to get it tuned (W2W) this summer and it runs exactly the same (perfectly). I picked up maybe 8 hp.

That is my experience anyway. I would think the 90/90 might need some idle help....
That's because your car is an FRC.. Factory Racecars can do that...
Old 09-15-2005, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Okay your right, yes your car will run on a stock tune. But if your happy with the way it runs that way then you shouldn't have modded in the first place. But to each his own.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tune it or at least have it scaned.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should have it tuned to be on the safe side. Better safe than sorry. Also I wouldn't go high in the revs if avoidable.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all those mods without tuning is a crapshoot. Maybe you roll bad and melt your motor. Maybe youll do alright, and make good power, or maybe you are missing out on gaining alot of power by a good tune.

A few people get lucky. A few people get very unlucky. Most, do OK, but are missing out on their mods full potentials.