Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible detonation when hot...but when its cool

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible detonation when hot...but when its cool

When its running cool there is absolutely no detonation no matter how I accelerate in any gear. It runs beautiful, smooth and quiet.

When its hot its UN-******-BELIEVABLE how loud it is. It simply sounds like the engine is already in pieces trying fall out onto the ground.

MY QUESTION: If when the engine is running COOL it runs simply perfect, does that mean nothing is damaged?

I can't win
Old 09-15-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it detonates that badly when hot it is getting too hot - especially the heads. Make sure your collant is full, radiator not blocked, etc. and if necessary, lower thermostat and lower the fan temps.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DaddySS
If it detonates that badly when hot it is getting too hot - especially the heads. Make sure your collant is full, radiator not blocked, etc. and if necessary, lower thermostat and lower the fan temps.
I started this thread to try and figure out why its overheating in the first place, even after all the help and input, its still getting ridiculously hot in a hurry after I turn the the A/C on.

Here's the thread that explains my troubles:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/375528-overheating-question.html

I just let the car idle for exactly 30 minutes with the A/C on high, it never got near the 155 mark. If I go for a drive it overheats to the point where the engine sounds like its going to fall apart. The temp goes right past the 210 mark in a matter of 2 minutes driving casually.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

My tranny cooler is in front of my radiator on the passengers side and its fuggin so hot that you can't touch it or it'll burn your skin. Do they get that hot?

Also, when I touch the line going into the condensor near the radiator cap its pretty friggin hot too. Is the condensor supposed to get so hot that you can't touch it even when its just idling in par?

How do I know if my condensor needs to be replaced and when they go bad is overheating the symptom?