Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to make 400rwhp daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Looking to make 400rwhp daily driver

Need advice on a cam to get that makes good power but not too pricey and too not much of a gas hog...I WILL have an LS6 intake manifold and a full exhaust (headers, high-flow cats, x-pipe, high-flow mufflers) installed before I install the cam. What else would I need to purchase along with the cam, or could I just reuse my old lifters, rockers, etc.? Probably not recomended but I am a novice @ this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by griff71177
Need advice on a cam to get that makes good power but not too pricey and too not much of a gas hog...I WILL have an LS6 intake manifold and a full exhaust (headers, high-flow cats, x-pipe, high-flow mufflers) installed before I install the cam. What else would I need to purchase along with the cam, or could I just reuse my old lifters, rockers, etc.? Probably not recomended but I am a novice @ this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Invest in some good hardened pushrods. Stock lifters are okay to re-use but my suggestion would be to replace them if your changing the cam. Comp 850-16 or (875-16 for higher lift cams) is a good choice. Stock rockers are good either way unless going extreme with the build, some people like to change them out for aftermarket but it isnt necessary. You might want to check into a good set of heads also. Do a search through the forums and check the sponser sites for cam info. Be prepared to spend some money if you want 400RWHP. Good luck with the build!!

Last edited by SS1875; 09-16-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not that hard to get 400 rwhp. Take a look at my mods, they are basically just a cam and headers along with a cutout and I make 381. Add a ported throttle body, get rid of the cats, and put on an underdrive pulley and you should be getting really close to 400.

When I did my cam, I used the TSP hardened pushrods along with the Patriot Gold dual springs and titanium retainers. I also put in a Rollmaster dual timing chain. I did not replace the lifters or the rockers.

Instead of aiming for a rwhp number, why not aim for a 1/4 mile ET and MPH. The only thing a dyno is good for is doing a tune or seeing if future mods help or hurt. Too many people live and die by dyno numbers. Guys that have cars that are not raced and only do dyno pulls are known as DYNO QUEENS.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

How many miles on the car? What year? Replacing lifters will require removing the heads.

If you have over 50K miles I would replace the timing chain with an LS2 chain, new LS6 oil pump. Anything under and you could probably get by with no problems. Most here keep the stock rockers and are fine. If you can't sleep at night thinking you left old rockers on with a new cam then swing for some 01-02 rockers with low miles.

A new cam should be installed with the proper supporting mods such as Hardened Pushrods, Proper valvesprings & Titanium Retainers.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

look at what I have, thats what you need.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

werd my 232/234 makes good power, and i drive it everyday
Old 09-16-2005, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

Heads.

They help all accross the board for power, and actually help fuel econonmy. They make the car more liveable as a daily driver, and you'll definitely get 400rwhp.

Also, don't forget to add in a tune ($450) in your budget.