Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 ported oil pump?

Old 09-18-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 ported oil pump?

i think my current oil pump is goin out on me so im lookin at new ones and saw that the LS6 ported oil pump from TSP is pretty cheap...

but all my mods are in my sig...should i get the ls6 ported one or just go with a new LS1 oil pump...oh and i am planning on a cam later on down the road

oh and yea i did a search...
Old 09-18-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont hear much about oil pumps going, but I know of a thread or two out there. You might want to double check and make sure it is the oil pump and not the sensor.

I had the ported oil pump installed when I put my cam in. It diffently gives you more PSI. Like almost scary. I just got back from a run. I let the car warm up for about 10 minutes. It had been sitting for a week or two. I jumped on it and the oil pressure goes up to 70PSI, then settles back into the 45ish. Once the car warms up and I get on it, the pressure goes up to maybe 55PSI. It always hangs around 40PSI + or - 5 PSI.

It's worth it, But if your going to change the oil pump, shove a new cam in her hole Your 3/4 of the way there !

Last edited by Phil'sC5vette; 09-18-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It depends if you are going above 7K rpm or not.
Ported are overkill for anything less than that.
Now if you have an aftermarket pan with a few extra quarts in and you are going big in the G's, then yes. The rest is market hype.
Stock LS6 pump is more than adequate.

Search this Thread