Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High rpm ticking/pinging

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High rpm ticking/pinging

I am having some trouble and wanted to see if I am on the right track.

Before you ask, I have done extensive searches and still need more information.
Symptoms: Clacking/ticking/rattling starting at 4000rpms and continuing on up. I have new wires, stock MAF, lid, FTRA. It sounds like valvetrain noise, it is loud and sounds damaging.

I believe it is detonation. IAT was around 95 degrees. I had a little KR, but not much. A/F is between 880 - 915 milavolts throughout the rpm range, but it is closer to 880 towards redline.

Solution: New plugs and clean with Seafoam. I have a new thermostat and will install it tomorrow and lower my fan temps. I am picking up a PCV valve tomrrow as well. After that I am at a loss. I heard change out the fuel filter, what am I missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Frank
Old 09-18-2005, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you are on the right track....Change that fuel filter and hopefully that will fix your problem.

Are you burning any oil?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zracer28
Sounds like you are on the right track....Change that fuel filter and hopefully that will fix your problem.

Are you burning any oil?
I'm having the same problem and the fuel filter seemed to help it a lil but it's still there... with me it could be a timing problem. Oh yah... throw in some 100 octane in it if you wanna get on it w/ out hurting it... helps A LOT. Not straight 100 - but like 50/50 or somewhere around there. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

I will add a new fuel filter to my list of things to do. I did change out the thermo and have it running cooler whcih seemed to help out a lot. Not near the detonation. More to come.....