Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, first time motor builder questions

Old 09-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok, first time motor builder questions

I've decided I want to build a motor for my camaro, all forged, etc.

I know i'd be looking at several thousand dollars to have someone else do it, in labor alone

If i go for decent quality (not low end, but not the most expensive **** either)

what kind of rough figures am I looking at for building a motor

only specs, all forged (that can be i suppose, FI + nitrous hopefully)

90/90 setup, hopefully with a NW TB.

also how hard is it to build these motors, Ive done a cam swap and it wasn't to bad, but never built a motor.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

ttt...
Old 09-19-2005, 10:47 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

There's a lot to learn. I'm an engineer and a former Detroit Diesel mechanic and I would recommend buying an assembled short block and then put the rest of the engine together yourself with the help of a couple of experienced buddies.

I think that in parts and machine work alone, you're looking at $5 to $10 k.

What do you want to reuse of your existing engine?

Is this your daily driver?

What kind of budget can you reasonably afford to spend in the next year?

How much time can you spend learning the details during the next year?

There are many important considerations.

Steve
Old 09-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

it is my daily driver

I can reasonably afford 15kish next year, but I have to buy a clutch, wheels and tires, and some other stuff to.

time isn't an issue

I'm not really sure whats reusable on my current engine, its a bone stock ls1 hehe.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vax
I've decided I want to build a motor for my camaro, all forged, etc.

I know i'd be looking at several thousand dollars to have someone else do it, in labor alone

If i go for decent quality (not low end, but not the most expensive **** either)

what kind of rough figures am I looking at for building a motor

only specs, all forged (that can be i suppose, FI + nitrous hopefully)

90/90 setup, hopefully with a NW TB.

also how hard is it to build these motors, Ive done a cam swap and it wasn't to bad, but never built a motor.

Check the site sponsers, many have short block specials. Depending on what you want to do,347 forged, 383 stroker etc. etc., you can do a motor for between $3,000-7,500 . You could do everything...motor/clutch/wheels& tires for $10,000. I got a very good deal through Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a darn good deal from Ed over at LPE on a shortblock last year at this time; $2095 complete shortblock. I mean this sincerely, you would be hard pressed to rebuild your current shortblock for that OR have it done locally. Plus locally there's a good chance they haven't done too many LS1's. LPE is the motor sponsor for ASA racing; they build LS1/LS6's all the time. As do many other sponsors on the site.

For the rest, you can easily do the rest for under 10K. I recommend you spend the time searching this site instead of jumping into decisions, my $.02.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:41 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Viper
I got a darn good deal from Ed over at LPE on a shortblock last year at this time; $2095 complete shortblock. I mean this sincerely, you would be hard pressed to rebuild your current shortblock for that OR have it done locally. Plus locally there's a good chance they haven't done too many LS1's. LPE is the motor sponsor for ASA racing; they build LS1/LS6's all the time. As do many other sponsors on the site.

For the rest, you can easily do the rest for under 10K. I recommend you spend the time searching this site instead of jumping into decisions, my $.02.
I have been eyeing up the same short block myself. Did you assemble the rest yourself? How much of the short block is there, does it come with pan and engine covers front and back? Does is come with a cam and lifters? My engine is a slapper and I want to fix it and change cams while I am at it.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a shop do it this time. No pan or covers, but freezeplugs are there. No pilot bearing. A shortblock; I had to transfer everything off mine before I shipped my core back. You can order it with cam and lifters and heads if you want. I chose a custom cam from EDC this round, morel lifters and AFR 205 heads. Also the engine from them is on 02 or 03 LS6 block as well. I got the LS6 oil pump and my engine builder had a canton pickup put on.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Launching!

READ FIRST, READ, READ,,,,,,, READ

buy this two books, they are amazing, and very helpful very ilustrative.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHEVY-LS1-LS6-PE...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOW-TO-BUILD-HIG...QQcmdZViewItem

Search this Thread