Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much engine noise (valvetrain, etc.) is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much engine noise (valvetrain, etc.) is normal?

Hello all,

I know there are 1,000 posts about valvetrain noise, slap, and LS1's being noisy in general. But what there isn't a lot of discussion of, is what is the threshold that is considered normal?

I don't have piston slap. But I do notice that my 2000 / 52k mile LS1 has a slight deep metallic tunk tunk tunk that is noticeable at idle. You have to listen for it, but it is there. It is not loud enough to hear inside the vehicle, even with the top down. But if you are outside of the car or under the hood you can hear it.

It ramps up with rpm, disappearing around 1500 rpm or so. Doesn't seem to vary with temperature, and I just changed in Mobil 5-30 synth (not sure what the GM dealership used at sale, prolly dino 5-30), with no change. It is not injector noise, and doesn't go away with full temp. I haven't had the car in winter so I don't know about cold influence.

Car doesn't burn any oil, pulls about a 13.6-13.7 1/4 on 275 fusions + 2.73's. So it seems just fine to me.

But I have a GMPP warranty for 24k miles and am wondering if this is something to have looked at. As you may or may not know, if I take it in and they don't confirm a "problem" then I get stuck with $50-100 of diagnostic charges.

Way it is right now I'll probably just keep an eye on it over the next year or so and see if it changes, but advice would be welcome.