Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing cover seal alignment - ATI drill fixture

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Timing cover seal alignment - ATI drill fixture

Getting ready to re-install my timing cover. The procedure calls for installing the damper. However, I have the fixture for the ATI crank pin installation which is basically a copy of the hub section of the damper, but it doesn't have to be pressed on, it slips on and is a very precise fit. Wondering if I can just use this to do my seal alignment rather than installing the damper itself. It would be much easier because centering measurements could also be taken as there would be no pulley in the way so you could actually see the seal.

Anyone tried this?
Old 09-19-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure exactly what youre talking about, but i believe its in reference to the ATI super dampener? I have asp pulleys myself, but id install them the same way. first put your new front seal in the timing chain cover, then attach it with the bolts, but dont tighten them all the way, just most of the way. Id also put some rtv on the bottome and slightly up the cover, but not all over it, the gasket does a good job. after its on and almost tightened, id put the part that slides over the crank snout on. after its on and centered nicely, tighten the cover to specs. from there you should be fine. hope this helps...
Old 09-19-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, it is the drill fixture that I want to use because you don't have to press it onto the crank, it slides on and off by hand. It is made for pinning the crankshaft, but looks just like the stock dampener as far as fitting the seal. See the photo below.