Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam redline questions???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam redline questions???

Ok im kinda new to internals as far as my LS1 goes. I was going to get a cam and was thinking either Thunder racings cheatr cam or a GM hotcam. My question is that both cams say they build power until around 6500 RPMS. Besides removing the rev limiter are there any other internals that I will need to worry about while reving that high. I know that the pushrods and springs should be changed with the cam but is there anything else?
Thank you, Craig
Old 09-21-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might want to adjust the rev limiter, rather than remove it.

I don't think it's needed for the cams your thinking about, but for higher max rpm cams, a lot of guys recommend replacing the stock connecting rod bolts, which is more work but good insurance.

I try to get anything done that I'll need to do at some point, and is exposed on a project. For example, I replaced the plugs and wires when I put the headers on, because it was piece of cake to do then, and is a royal pain in the *** to do by itself. It depends a little on your mileage, but I'd think about replacing the timing chain, and/or oil pump, and/or underdrive pulley while you have the front of the engine off for the cam swap.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a 98-00 its a good idea to change the oil pump since there have been some failures before w/ those years. For any cam its a good idea to put in hardened pushrods, timing chain, and obviously the valvesprings.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

I guess what I was really wondering is if the stock heads flow well enough to provide enough air for that high revolutions?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I guess what I was really wondering is if the stock heads flow well enough to provide enough air for that high revolutions?
Obviously you'd be better off with AFR 205's or one of the many LS6 ported heads that have gotten really reasonable lately, but yeah the stock heads can flow well enough to support 6500 rpm, and guys have made 400+ hp with stock heads, but you'll need every other mod you can bolt on. A better intake wouldn't hurt either, to make it over the hump. Also you'll probably want to know how much time the stock injectors are in duty cycle. Search on the CHEAtr cam, and you'll find lots of results posted. Check out their set ups...

Last edited by FUN LS1; 09-22-2005 at 02:15 PM.