Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Delco Iridiums -white tip after first start-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Delco Iridiums -white tip after first start-up

I went from NGK Iridiums to AC Delcos trying to troubleshoot why my car runs like ****. When I puilled my NGK they looked fine, (perfect color) but figured I replace them anyway. I installed the AC Delcos and becasue I had a weird compression test reading on cylinder 5 (car was cold), I heated the car up'drove it around and then while the car was hot I pulled some plugs to take some comp. readings and I noticed that the spark plug tips were all white(??) It was like a powdery resign or something. Would this happen from new plugs? I wiped the plugs that I sampled off, reinstalled them, heated the car up again (by this time it was a few hours later) and the tips were white again- I checked the whole DS bank. Car still runs like poop and now I am wondering about these plugs. Anyone see this before?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went the NGK Iridiums and they were crap went back to the copper gapped at 55.
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/sparkplg.asp
You maybe running to lean.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I've heard about Iridiums are that they are just a waste of money. NGK TR55's are the most popular and seem to do the best, while some run the TR6's when using the juice.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:24 AM
Launching!

Had my ACDelco Iridiums for over a year now and they are still running perfectly! Man, I don't know about you but I'd avoid pulling plugs out of a hot aluminum head, those threads are awful tender......
Old 09-26-2005, 06:03 AM
TECH Regular

AC Delco iridiums for over a year with no problems. Car runs better with these plugs.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I still owned my NBM '02 WS6, I put in Denso Iridiums while installing a set of Kooks long-tubes. Never had a problem with 'em. My neighbor bought the car from me, and a little over a year later, it still runs like a champ. I'll never buy 'em again though....man, are they expensive!

My current WS6 seems to run just as well with the NGK TR55 plugs, although I did install a set of MSD 8.5mm wires, too.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya know, I was going to run the TR55s but they only had 6 in stock. Should have just ordered them. The thing is the plugs that came out looked good. I still have them so I will have to check know that I know more about how to read them, but in any event, I expected that these wouldn't be any different. Oh well. See if the store will take them back. Have a three year warrenty on them. Actually I should just pick up the Coppers (since they are cheap) and see if it does the same thing. Then I can go back and say these are crap.