Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longer pushrod's.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Longer pushrod's.....

I have a 99 SS that's over 90k miles young. I know she needs the pushrod's done, as I'm sure a few have at least a slight bend in them, though none are severe enough to result in any noise. I was just going to order up some push-rods, from the dealer, but then I got to thinking......:hmm:

Longer push-rods, would result in a TINY bit more lift which could result in a TINY bit more power. :hmm:

I'm skeptical about hardened push-rod's because I, like everybody else, have done the dreaded mis-shift a time or two, and I really don't want to send a valve into a piston, should it happen again. (Unless there is enough clearance still that that will not be an issue.) :help:

So has anybody tried this? Meaning tried going with the longer push-rods?

Thoughts, suggestions, idea's? Thanks!

(Yes, I have done several searches on the matter. )

Tom
Old 09-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Launching!

it could also hang the valves open
Old 09-26-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Longer pushrods won't give you more lift unless they are too long for the hydraulics in the lifter to compensate for them. In that case, the lifters will bottom out and the valves will hang open as said above and you won't get much if any compression. Also it's possible the lifters could 'pump up' under high rpm and cause the valves to hang open slightly also.
As far as upgrading the pushrods, a lot of guys have said that you should use stock pushrods on a stock engine. The pushrods won't bend before you touch a piston with the valve, it will bend in response to it. The idea is the pushrod bends and the valve stays straight. You would have to have some serious float for that to happen on a stock engine I would think.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I went with 7.400 on AFR's milled .018 and the valves hung open so much it wouldn't get compression to start. Went to a 7.325 PR and it was swiping too close to the intake side. Car ran and made power, but when I actually measuread and ended up with a 7.350 PR the car REALLY ran good.

Measure and get the right pushrod. Since your stock, replace with stock.