Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle on cold starts with H/C after tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rough idle on cold starts with H/C after tune?

Hey guys i was just wondering if people have the same problem i do? My car runs awesome when it sets and finds its idle.. i can drive it all day without it stalling one time..

BUT..

When i let it sit for say a few days without running or a week.. When i start it.. its just really sluggish and barely wants to run.. i have to hold the gas down until it fully warms and finds its idle.. then its alright again..

AND..

sometimes after i let it sit for a week or so.. when it is having the rough start it will smoke a little out of the tail pipe like maybe its getting too much fuel or burning something? Its fully tuned and everything..

Just wondering if anyone has the same issues? Let me know! I know it won't be perfect with H/C.. and i don't expect it to be.. just wondering if its normal or not!

Thanks guys!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The tune is not right, most likely your VE and Idle Air tables need adjusted
Old 09-27-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The smoke out the exhaust could just be condensation.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First check with your tuner and let him know what's going on. If he's sure his tune is ok and still can't fix it, your ported t/b may be the culprit.

I went to 2 different tuners and they couldn't get my car to run right. Then my bro gave me a stock t/b, and that cured 95% of my startup/idle problems. Then I went to a 3rd tuner, and he was able to tweak it to my liking.

Good luck.

Gary
Old 09-27-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitley a needs a re-tune, the car should run as good as stock. Theres a parameter I believe for cold start conditions. cold idle start setting or somethin like that.

I have had my h/c setup for a year now and it starts right up no problem in any weather condition.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

alright! Thanks guys! thats what i was wondering.. it could be my S3 TB.. but i'll check with my tuner and let him know and he'll probabaly set it all back up for free!

Thanks for the responses guys! answered everything exactly how i needed!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:40 AM
12 Second Club

Target IDLE RPM, Base running airflow, Iac position vs effective area, timing, VE and open loop table all need to be adjusted for a nice clean idle. I've got my cold startup so good I can fire it up and start driving right away with no idle surging or dipping.

I also have a S2 TB which made it a little more difficult.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

alright good! i'm glad to hear its the tune.. I'm going to take out the S3 for the tune too i think.. Maybe that will help!

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2005, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Your open loop vs temp table should cure most of your problem without having to remove your TB. 95% up to 140* F; make changes using 5% increments.

I have a 90 mm TB and don't have an issue with cold-start. Drilling is also unnecessary; there are alternatives.

Even when you get the problem fixed, I wouldn't recommend driving around until the parts are decently warmed up.

I think safety first . . . especially when it comes to thousands of dollars of modified parts . . . AND labor

Christopher

Quick Reply: Rough idle on cold starts with H/C after tune?