Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experienced Machiners Needed: Typical crankshaft balance requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Experienced Machiners Needed: Typical crankshaft balance requirements?

I recently purchased a new high end forged crankshaft for my 408 project. Received a call yesterday from the machine shop stating that the crank is extremely out of balance with 325 grams at the snout and 275 grams at the rear flange. I have absolutely zero experience in this, and I do trust the machine shop is providing correct info.

Is this within "typical" for a crankshaft to require this much weight for balancing? To me, it sounds like an out of spec factory second that was passed along.

REAL INSIGHT is appreciated greatly.

Note: I have intentionally left out the name of the sponsor where purchased and crank brand to avoid turn this thread into a "bashfest".
Old 09-30-2005, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

That is a lot to be out of balance. I know you want to keep the names disclosed but here is some insight. Eagle and Callies I know for a fact rough balance there cranks to 1800 bobweight. This can be accomplished with standard parts such as most off the shelf pistons and h-beam rods. If your going with super light componets then this could be true or the complete opposite with very heavy parts. Ask your shop to tell you the bobweight. I just balance a stock crank with Wiseco pistons, light weight I-beam rods and the weight was 1692. Which for a street motor with steel rods is light and that crank was less than 100 grams on both ends. If the crank is another brand it may have never been rough balance and it could be that far out. The only other thing you can check is to see is if the shop that is balancing the crank for you knows that it is neutral balance on both ends. It is not external on one end (weight on flywheel) and neutral on the other like a LT1.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

It is another brand that you don't see alot of here on the forum, and you're correct, these cranks are not delivered with even a rough balance--they'll do it but it is extra. I will check with my machinist on the bob weight and neutral balance. We are using Lunati pro-billet rods & Diamond 4.030” bore x 4.000 stroke, -15.0cc, off the shelf pistons.

I appreciate your response. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What shop did you go with to build your motor? I am still looking for some ones to build my 427. Thanks
Old 10-01-2005, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who is doing the machine work in the bay? Just curious. Do they do in house or send it out?
Old 10-01-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
What shop did you go with to build your motor? I am still looking for some ones to build my 427. Thanks
I'm having the entire project done at Rob's Auto Machine/Custom Dyno Tuning in Hayward, Ca. I don't have any previous experience with either but have worked with others in the area and am still trying to find one that does the work right at the price they quote.

Originally Posted by Lasershop
Who is doing the machine work in the bay? Just curious. Do they do in house or send it out?
Rob's Auto Machine in Hayward is doing the machine & assembly, but they send out the crankshaft balance work...don't know the name of that shop but I do know that he just bought all of Cola Crankshafts machines when they went out of business, so they definitely have appropriate equipment. Results are pending.

Last edited by GoatChs; 10-01-2005 at 09:43 AM.