Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i need a rebuild? *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do i need a rebuild? *PICS*

Ok i pulled the mainifold off today...and well i dont know what to do? should i just clean up all the gunk inside the ports? and around them or should i do a rebuild? or overhaul on it? Please help and if you have expierence with this does this look normal for a engine with 59000 on it? thanks!
sorry for the crappy pics

Old 10-01-2005, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup looks pretty normall. these motors DRINK alot of oil thru the PCV system. All that crud it from oil going thru your intake. I no longer run the pcv into the intake. if your not gonna run your PCV thru your intake anymore clean it out and yourll be fine. but if your still gonna run it thru rhe intake then don't bother cause its gonna look the same after a while anyways.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
yup looks pretty normall. these motors DRINK alot of oil thru the PCV system. All that crud it from oil going thru your intake. I no longer run the pcv into the intake. if your not gonna run your PCV thru your intake anymore clean it out and yourll be fine. but if your still gonna run it thru rhe intake then don't bother cause its gonna look the same after a while anyways.
LOL wow thanks i was almost worried i might need a rebuild, and for the PCV system im already planning on a catch can being put in!
Old 10-01-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's exactly what mine looks like. It kind of sucks but she still runs good.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

well heres another little thing ill just add in..im pulling the engine OUT OF THE TOP! and got one chain on the front of the passenger head but do i have to remove the power steering pump to put the chain on the drivers side head? heres a picture of what im talking about. or is there a better place to put the chain?

sorry for the size

Old 10-01-2005, 03:49 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

If you haven't already disconnected the PS pump, don't. Remove the alternator from the bracket and unbolt the bracket from the engine with the pump attached. Then move the pump aside while suspending it by a rope to avoid strain on the hydraulic lines and fittings. You can run a chain diagonally across the engine like left front to right rear or right front to left rear. Look at some magazines or books on engine removal and re-installation and you'll get some ideas.

Steve
Old 10-01-2005, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
If you haven't already disconnected the PS pump, don't. Remove the alternator from the bracket and unbolt the bracket from the engine with the pump attached. Then move the pump aside while suspending it by a rope to avoid strain on the hydraulic lines and fittings. You can run a chain diagonally across the engine like left front to right rear or right front to left rear. Look at some magazines or books on engine removal and re-installation and you'll get some ideas.

Steve

ill look into romoveing the bracket i already have the alternator off..and im using a load levler so i was going to use points on the engine, but ill take a look at that way
Old 10-01-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

the PS bracket is a bitch!!
Old 10-01-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

91sbcamaro, how much oil did your motor burn? Some LS1's drink oil and some don't. Mine doesn't burn any. I'll be putting an LS6 intake on in the next couple weeks so I'm trying to guage what mine looks like before I do the swap.

Jason
Old 10-01-2005, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

i took both off the power steering pump and the bracket..its all good now just need to work out how to use a load levler(ive never used or seen one used before) i think i have it twisted the wrong way(call me stupid).